Chilling the tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Pinoyxprss, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

I have a 55g tank with fluval 305 with goldies in it, I have been trying to look for chiller or means of chilling the tank with no success.

I have read people running lines of tubes inside a small fridge with some success. Here's my question, would it affect funcionality if i house my fluval inside a fridge, i tried to find topics about doing this but couldnt find any. Will the cold temp affect filtration or anytjing inside the unit?

Thanks

Edit: i have been using ice bottles and kep it at 74-76 so far.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I can't think of a reason as long as it doesn't ice up.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

what kind of lighting and pumps are you using that your tank is getting warm enough to need a chiller? just curious?

5. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

Flourecent lighting 6-10 hours/day, fluval 305, thats it. If i leave it without ice, temp goes up to 78, no house airconditioning.

6. leighton1245

Your tank should run right around 78.6 with 500w of MH mine runs about 80 for a few hours a day. So i wouldnt worry about chilling it right now IMO

7. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

Is that ok for a gold fish tank, i have read that they should sit at least right below 70 F.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You don't want to keep the goldfish at temps like that for long. You are doing the right thing to cool the tank off. Use a fan and have it blow across the top of the water to help with the cooling.

1 person likes this.
  10. leighton1245

sorry i totally didnt read which thread this was in sorry for the misinformation.

11. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

I thought about that, I was looking for wooden hood where I can install fans but very expensive, might be better to build it, I just don't kniw where to start.

Not a problem, I'm guessing you thought I had tropicals or along those line. I actually have a tropical tanl which I keep between 75-78F and they're doing fine. I'm more worried about my goldies at this time.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Lowe's or Home Depot for wood and other parts. Computer store for a case fan. There are several good designs for DIY canopies on line.