Chiller Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Fish Fan, Jun 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Aside from the flow rates how do you have the controller set up to operate ? There is a differential setting and a I think also a setting to control and limit the time off to allow the compressor gas to equalize on the head pressure before it is allowed to restart a time delay if you will .. As Otty said you have to move the water through slow enough to allow the heat exchanger to gather up the heat molecules , Thats is where the problem comes in with cycling the hot air back across the condenser coil

When you go through the set up on the controller what LED characters do you see ? DIFF and or ASd or TOFF ? Looks like greek but it means different things to program in .

Here is how the controller is set up and programmed

Prime Chiller Temperature Controller
    The electronic temperature controller is designed to provide on/off control of cooling. It is equipped with an easy to read Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) that displays a constant readout of actual temperature, control settings, relay status and system diagnostics. The simple keypad allows programming of set point temperature and temperature differential.
    Displaying current temperature and previous setting
    1. Press the SET button. The indicator light will appear and the display will automatically show the previous set temperature.
    2. Press the SET button again, the indicator light will turn off and the current water temperature will be displayed.
    Changing the temperature setting
    1. Press the SET button for three (3) seconds. The previous set temperature will be displayed.
    2. Press Up "<" button to increase temperature or press Down ">"button to decrease temperature. The temperature must be set between 60-85 degrees F.
    3. Confirm set temperature by pressing SET button again or waiting for 8 seconds. The current aquarium temperature will then be displayed when chiller begins to operate in normal mode.
    Please Note: The chiller has a built-in protection mode that can delay the cooling mode operation for up to three (3) minutes.
    temperature differential
    The temperature differential is automatically set to two (2) degrees F as an default.
    trouble shooting
    P1 Error - Indicates sensor needs replaced or that water has come in contact with controller. Unplug unit and allow it to try completely before re-starting up. If P1 error continues, contact your dealer for a replacement temperature sensor.
    Temperature Error - if the digital display reads an unusual temperature reading (like 122 F), it indicated a temperature sensor malfunction.

Temperature Controller
    specifications/Installation and set up
    WWW.CURRENT-USA.COM

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

Thanks to the both of you for the information. I am going to change the pump to one that has about half of the output and see if that helps and also make sure that there is room behind the chiller for the warm air to disipate.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

See that you have the controller programed correctly

1 person likes this.
  5. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

For some reason I can not get the onboard controller to enter the program mode. Would a bad controller cause the short cycling? How much is a new controller for that chiller?:confused:

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes it could and would cause the short cycling and that will blow a compressor up in no time and or blow a coil . Make sure you are getting into set up program mode for sure then try it if not P/M me there are better and easier options around then replacing the one in the unit

7. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I am giving up on this POS chiller. The person that I bought it from thinks that it runs just fine so she is willing to take it back and give me my money back. I guess I will just have to save up and buy a brand new unit so that I dont have to deal with anyone elses problems.

Thanks again to Tangster, Otty and jonjonwells for your assistance and guidance.