Chiller putting out lots of heat

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by johnssm, Mar 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Good deal. So is there any more heat input to the tank you can get rid of. The chiller outside will pretty much solve a big problem. But anything you can do to not run it so much is even better.

Evaporative cooling is very good, but if that room is already hot and not much air flow, then it will still be hot and more humid... not better for you.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No.. a chiller does not add any humidity. Colling the tank will produce even less from the tank over all.

4. Raudrive

Raudrive Astrea Snail

The same thing happened to me here in Texas. When metal halides were added too much heat was a side effect. The water temperature got into the 90's. I too added a chiller but then the room heated up. A larger AC vent duct was installed along with an in-line fan on that duct. This cooled everything off well but my electric bill went way up.

Avoiding metal halides would be my first choice. Moving the chiller outside is a good idea.

Good luck,
    Rick

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

This is an old thread on how some friends of mine here in the Phoenix area solved their chiller problems:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522988&pp=25
    The thread is quite long but contains some good information. They installed pad mounted compressor/chillers outside and ran lines underground and through walls to circulate water to both the display in the house and sump and frag tanks in the garage. I think the chillers enter the picture on about pages 6 through 8.