Chiller for a 120g

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by scenario1313, Apr 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Maybe try lowering the heater a bit. If your only getting a 1 degree raise in temp that's not too bad ;) I would still try to add a fan. It could have all the holes in the world, but there still neds to be something in there to pass fresh air though it.
    I would try a fan and maybe even lowering the heater's setting a little bit first, see where that gets you

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Heaters are lowered to 77 to see what happens and I will get to putting a fan or two in. I am sure that would help tremendously. Any suggestions on a fan type. You think I ought to have one on each end of the canopy. Do you think there is a way around not cutting into the canopy or am I just getting to picky. LOL

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, if the back is completely open, you should be able to mount them back there, one at each end of the canopy, blowing across.
    Couldn't give you a recommendation on the fans, there's got to be thousands of them out there. Try some really cheap ones first to see if it works well enough.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Should I point them blowing across the top of the water to inside the tank or have them pulling out the air from the inside of the canopy? Thanks for the help pack.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would say across the water. You might even set up one blowing in, one out. But if there's ventilation up top, both straight across should be fine.
    If your pretty handy, you could wire them in before the ballast on your light, that way they come on whenever the light does.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I would have them suck the air through, just so it doesnt blow dust in. I have a 1/3 hp on my 265 and it does fine. I have a 1/2 on my 85 also. I know they are backwards, but I havent felt like switching them out yet. I am not sure if I will cause the 1/3 fits under the tank and the 1/2 is way bigger and it wont fit, so it would have to sit out and wont fit anywhere w/o looking way out of place. My wife likes the chillers cause now the house dont have to stay so cool.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

ok without reading the whole thing, I do not think that a 1/10 hp chiller is going to be enough for a 120. If anything I would,just like anything else, oversize it.

10. mnm

mnm Astrea Snail

Very true about not keeping the house cool for an aquarium. I have my 125 reef in my enclosed patio with no a/c. The 1/3 hp chiller works perfect in 90 degree temp inside the patio. It turns on 45 minutes for 15 minutes. Best investment I made.

11. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

holy! Um I don't run heaters above 72-74. You would be fighting to keep it cool. I am having a problem with cooling as well but I have alot of light and pumps. I am looking for a good but affordable chiller. I like the ebay one noted above.

12. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

I only run my heaters during the winter (Florida) and I pull my fans through the canopy so it doesn't blow stuff into the tank as noted also. I had a friend spray windex and you could watch the fans suck in into the canopy.. lol.
    But if you had heaters and a chiller running you'd be having both run all the time. I could use a chiller but I haven't really gotten over 83... Id still prefer 78-79 but for the money, I can wait.