Chiller for a 120g

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by scenario1313, Apr 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I am starting to thing I need to get a chiller. During the day my tank gets up to 81 deg and its not the middle of summer yet. I keep the room temp at 74 -76 deg. Would a 1/10th hp chiller be enough for the 120 and does any one know of one to look for that is not outrageous on the price.

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

4. scenario1313

And I went with T5's to avoid this. But i seriously think I need one.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Scenario, just curious as to where the heat my be coming from? Isn't the tank lit by T5's? What is the plumbing/pumps situation?
    Just thinking there may be other ways around this...

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

My 30g with T5's got very warm. I am remembering back a few months ago in Tampa my A/C went out. I floated bags of ice to keep my tank from cooking. It peaked at 87. Fortunately, I didn't lose anything. I would never be able to float enough in the 75 to keep it down.

Just for events like that, a chiller is a good thing to have. Insurance, so to speak.

7. mnm

mnm Astrea Snail

My 125 has a 1/3 hp current chiller. It will set you back about $650, but worth it. Go for a larger than needed chiller because it will not run constant and save you money in electricity. Well worth it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. scenario1313

It is lit by the tek t5 8 bulb fixture but it is in a canopy so I am sure that is where the heat is coming from. I have a Sequence 3600 return pump that has little restriction on it so the heat has to be coming from the lights. Any other ideas?
    Maybe my heaters are not working properly. I will turn them down to see what happens.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Exactly, I was going to suggest the heater could be sticking. But is the temp about the same when the lights have been off for a while?
    What are you doing for ventilation inside the canopy? Maybe you can try to rig up a couple of PC fans, if you have nothing in there already.

1 person likes this.
  11. scenario1313

Thanks for the info if I find that I should get one I will keep in mind to go bigger.

12. scenario1313

No fans but the back is open and the top is slatted for ventilation as well. In the mornings after lights have been out it goes down to 79 - 80 and my heaters are set at 79