chiclid environment?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by sms2981, Aug 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sms2981

sms2981 Plankton

Is there a web-site of photo gallery of what the chiclid natural surrounings looks like? I'm wanting to get the tank as cloase as possible. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

which chiclids sms2981

there are South American, and also African species - and the enviroment is different for species from both those continents

South American species typically inhabit places where plants/ bog wood/ tree roots are in the water

African species are typically more rock dwelling species

Steve

4. sms2981

sms2981 Plankton

more than likely african chiclid, can i put both in the same tank (african and south american)

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

not a great idea to be honest , the African species ( I thought it would be due to you lace rock question) like hard alkali water , whereas the American chiclids like soft and acidic (generalistions I know)

if you can give the common or latin names of the species of Chiclid your interested in
    you will get more feed back on the type of enviroment / set up best suited for them

Steve

6. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

I used to be a member of http://www.cichlid-forum.com/ (still am a member, just dont have cichlids anymore) It was pretty much like here (helpful, friendly, informative etc) but it was just for cichlids. :) Id take a gander there if i were you.

p.s. I just thought as i'm writing this that i hope i don't get in trouble for posting a link to another forum (albeit a forum on a different subject matter). I'm not sure if there's any rules against doing so. If there is. I apologize. If not. Phew!! :D

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

No rules against it.

In fact, you are doing the right thing. I would much rather have someone go somewhere else if they can help them better. It just doesn't happen often.;D

8. Click Here!

9. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

Find out where they are from if u are trying to mimic their environment. My African cichlid tank has lots of rock structures and hiding places.