Chemistry?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by gabe, Apr 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Im kind of confused, I have some sort of an idea, but what really is nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, and pH? and any other substance out their.

gabe

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It would really be too complicated to answer your question in one post.

So I would suggest purchasing a book on Reef chemistry. I would give you the name and author but it's packed in a box.

Also there are many articles written online Here is one

Jason

4. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Thanks for your help

gabe

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Gabe, check out www.wetwebmedia.com, this site has many articles that you may find helpful. But in a nut shell- Fish poop is basically ammonia which is toxic to fish and invertebrates. Bacteria convert it to nitrite which is also toxic but is then converted to nitrate which is less toxic to fish. pH is a measure of the negative ion concentration or more simply-how acidic or alkaline the water is. A pH of 7 is usually considered neutral or middle range. Acids have a pH below 7 and alkali have a pH that is higher than 7. Our blood has a pH of 7.4, sea water has a pH range of 8.2-8.4. Bleach is an alkali and vinegar is an acid . Tap water is usually 7-8. Alkalinity is related to pH but I will let you figure that on your own as it is more complex. Hope this helps some!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  6. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Helps alot, thanks

gabe

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Also check some articles at: http://www.advancedaquarist.com

They have a search engine that will help you find articles that are appropriate. Alkalinity has to do with water hardness, and is tied into PH and other water qualities. Raven is right, it gets fairly complex in a reef aquarium situation, but there are additives that you can use that will help make it fairly easy along with using a good salt mix.

http://www.reefkeeping.com is another good online magazine with great articles and pics. Do get a book if you can!!

Drew

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  8. Click Here!

9. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Thanks alot for the good info.

gabe