Chemiclean Red Slime Remover

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mario8402, Mar 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I just bought some Chemiclean Red Slime Rover to put in my 29gal and I am kind of hesitant to put it in without hearing from someone about this first. I have had all my params checked and double checked and everything seems fine.. I keep getting the red/brow stuff all over the sand,rocks, and glass. Guy told me this would work, but I just wanted everyones opinion.. It says its reef safe also :-/

2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I'm in the same predicament you are in as I am also fighting the same algae. I did a water change last week and vacuumed wherever I could. I also changed the positioning of a couple of powerheads to provide more flow in the area affected. Hopefully this diligence will pay off......as a last resort I'll do the red slime remover thing from my LFS.

The bummer with the slime remover is that it is only a temporary patch and the slime will keep coming back unless we find the root of the problem.

I'm trying.......and good luck to you as well!

1 person likes this.
  4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Chemiclean works great, i used it in the past. Inverts, corals and fish all did well. Just follow the instruction. But im with snake on that one. Chemiclean will get rid of the cyano but if the root of the problem isnt fixed it will come back.

Marc.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its totally safe to use just follow the labels direction its just a mild dose of tetracycline and permaganese Kents PloyOX does the same thing. But as Marc mentioned you are just treating the symptoms and not curing the cause with its use .. But as Marc mentioned you are just curing the symptoms and not curing the cause

6. jawfish7777

jawfish7777 Plankton

i have used the red slime remover and it worked at first and then it grew back. then i checked my water chem. and the KH and calcium were to high. i brought those down and i have never had an algae bloom sence.

7. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I have been checking and double checking.. everything SEEMS fine.. We will see.. I will be doing my weekly water change today after work.. then putting that stuff in, waiting 48 hrs and doing another water change

8. Click Here!

9. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

10. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

thats the prob though.. nitrates are fine.. I will ride it out for now i guess

11. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I am going to put it in my tank tonight..
    Do people who have used this think that it will be ok to just run my topfin30 hob filter with sponge and cartridge with nothing in it?? It says to turn off skimmer which i can do, and says to airate with air stone, but the one i have is currently in use. do i NEED the air stone?

12. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

So I put the chemiclean in my tank night before last after doing a 5 gallon water change.. I turned my skimmer off per directions for 24hrs.. I turn it on again last night and right away this this thing had foam coming out.. I had 2 FULL cups on my remora within an hour..was mostly clear water.. I had to turn it off before I went to bed so it wouldnt over flow on accident while I was sleeping... I turned it on for about 30 minutes while getting for work this morning and it was foaming right away..I turned off while I am at work so it wouldnt over flow.. I am doing another 7 gal water change today per directions..
    any one who used this notice their skimmer behave like this? Hopefully the water change will make it slow down once I change the water tomorrow.