Chemiclean Red Slime Remove And Oxygen Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Weir_Head, Jan 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

The Cyano doesn't look terrible in the photo, but it doesn't show the rocks or the back of the tank

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Sorry I didn't recommend the treatment because I thought you had another issue such as high phosphates, so it sounded like you knew what steps to take to fix the problem. I believe my situation was\is different as my organic matter wasn't being broken up and was just ending up rotting, then cyano would start building up and collecting more crap under it. Now that my bio-filter is getting stronger, I am noticing less smegma on my rocks and less cyano. When I started that thread it was basically gone, however after not dosing the stuff during the holiday breaks the cyano started back up, not nearly as bad though, and now I'm back on the dosing treatment and expect to see less cyano in the next couple of weeks and eventually none at all.

I don't know how this stuff works, Im a complete newb, but I can take a guess. Cyano feeds on phosphates\ammonia from decaying matter but doesn't give off nitrates, instead it grows red slime. -I believe this is why my chaeto couldn't grow while my cyano flourished.

Good bacteria breaks down the decaying matter (ammonia) into nitrites\nitrates which is easier to export via macro algae.

The way I see it, if you don't have the bio-filter to break down the organic waste (visible junk), then cyano will rule the tank. I did 25% weekly water changes, bought new bulbs, used a fuge, used a reactor with gfo\aluminum oxide and a whole host of other things, none worked. It's very easy to blame tank maintenance and other reasons, but I don't think thats the case most of the time and probably what makes people quit this hobby.

4. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Any adverse effects to these thousands of micro-bubble airstone bubbles shooting up?

I thought one time I read that micro-bubbles might cause popeye and such...
    Only about 24 more hours until I take it out anyway and do my water change.

So far, the Red Stuff is gone... what is left is just a hint of brown now.

5. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Well I just did my WC, about 30% I'm thinking.
    Put 16 Gallons in a 60, which I assume with the LR only has about 53G(?)

I will say this, this Skimmer has GONE WILD.
    Girls gone wild style... I have it completely at the top, the highest setting, and it's filling up in about an hour or so to the top.

I have to babysit this thing now.

But, the Cyano is gone for the time being. The tank looks pretty gross, but hopefully once the Skimmer runs, and the sand clears up, the Carbon starts working... It'll be back to normal soon.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You should be just fine for now. You just need to find the root of the problem.