Chemiclean Red Slime Remove And Oxygen Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Weir_Head, Jan 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I'm sorry I can't answer your question better, I'm curious so I'll do a little diggin this evening and see what I can come up with.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

This is what I found:

"Cynobacteria is usually encouraged with the presence of nitrate and ammonia, which are both fixed forms of nitrogen. Chemi-clean helps clean and remove this problem algae through its own unique process. Most other red slime removers use purely antibiotics, namely erythromycin to take care of the algae. The use of such substances with in your aquarium can have disastrous effects upon your nitrifying bacteria and cause your tank to crash, killing the inhabitants of your aquarium."

Now this doesn't say that it doesn't' have effects on nitrifying bacteria, but implies that it treats ammonia and nitrate issues.

4. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Now I'm getting more nervous about using it...

I know that my root problem is high Phosphates, but I just need to get some new GFO after I rid the Cyano.

I know that there's risk, but so long as I keep my oxygen up (I bought a giant air-strip and pump today), I don't see how they'd sell the product if it were crashing systems.

But now that everyone has mentioning it, I'm concerned that it could kill the beneficial bacteria. I don't know enough to understand how, but like I said, it seems like if that was happening nobody would stock it at their stores you know?

5. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

How many people that posted in this thread had this stuff crash your tank? I've only heard good things about it.

6. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Same here...
    I wasn't even worried about that at first, just the oxygenation. Which I have under control now.

I understood the band-aid thing, but before I started treating the root cause of phosphates and a tad high Nitrate I wanted it gone to start with.

Never even considered it wiping out your bio-filter. In looking around online, I'm not really seeing anyone with that experience however.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

In my decade in the hobby, I've probably seen a dozen tank crashes using chemi-clean. That's not many considering the thousands of people who have probably used it in that time. However I've never seen a single tank crash from turning the lights out for a few days... I'm just not sure I understand the motivation to dose a tank with unnecessary chemicals. However, I guess some people like quick fixes, that's fine, it's you tank :)

As to using GFO after, if there are phosphates remaining after using chemiclean they will go somewhere, such as to other algae or more cyano. You would be better off to reducing phosphate before..

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

By making their product 99% antibiotics and 1% filler, this statement is still completely true. Notice that they use the word purely. Remove the word purely and you have a completly different statement!

10. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Ok, so let's say you were in the 1% that "Crashes" the tank.
    What happens?
    Do you lose everything, or could you test for it and add something like Dr.Tims, etc to help cycle faster?

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Wow, I didn't expect such are big response. You will be fine using this product. Like stated, only a few tanks have crashed, and that could have been because of something else honestly. It will not solve your root problem however. The better fix is to remove the root problem in the first place and not use this product at all.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

However, they are still stating that they don't use antibiotics in their product.