Chemiclean Red Slime Remove And Oxygen Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Weir_Head, Jan 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I have a little bit of Cyano that I haven't been able to nail yet using your standard siphoning and what not.
    So I'm going to use the Chemiclean product, which everyone says is very good.

The directions say to turn off the Skimmer and take out any active carbon.
    And to use an air-stone to keep oxygen levels ok.

I have 2 questions...
    1. Do I need to turn off the entire filter, or just take out the carbon, but leave the water going through and everything.

2. On the topic of Oxygen, do I need to get an airstone, or will two Koralia 3s and a Koralia 1 be enough to keep the oxygen fine?
    That's about 2,000GPH of flow I believe.

Thanks a lot

sharonar22 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

You definitely want to shut off your skimmer, as this stuff will drive it nuts. also, the carbon will remove it from the water and will make the treatment ineffective so you'll wanna pull that too. Finally, i've never used an airstone when treating with this stuff and I've never had a problem. Just point one of you Koralias at the surface a bit to get some gas exchange.

sharonar22 likes this.
  4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't know, but you can turn your lights off for 3 or 4 days and save your money. Then no worries about O2 or nuking your biofilter. Just my .02 though...

sharonar22 likes this.
  5. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Thanks so much.
    I assumed that the Carbon just harmed the effects of the product/medicine(?)
    But, I can take that out of the back, and just let the water run through it still right?
    That will create a bit more flow/oxygen at least.

I assumed that if I had 3 powerheads I should be fine on oxygen, but just wanted to check.

sharonar22 likes this.
  6. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, I guess I could do that, but don't you have to cover it with blankets and everything, keeping ALL light out?

I wonder what the chance of screwing up your biofilter is with this...
    I'm going to get an airstone just in case now.

I'd have that, the 3 PHs and the HOB filter moving water around. I assume I'd be fine.

sharonar22 likes this.
  7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

The only 10% safe metod out there!

I've been preaching this method for years but it still baffles me as to why anyone would rather use an antibiotic to rid their cyano.

sharonar22 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

So, just turn off the lights for 4 days?
    No covering the tank or anything?

Can I still feed the fish, and will the corals be fine without light that long?

The Cyano just goes away after 4 days, and that's it?

sharonar22 likes this.
  10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Here is my method copied from another thread.

sharonar22 and grinder37 like this.
  11. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I have used this product with great sucess, with red slime, shutting off the lights for a few days is just a bandaid in my opinion, the slime will just come back. If this is the same stuff i used, it turns your water green for a little while, looks trippy. But it works really well! After you use this product, get a 1 or 2 sand sifting gobies, they well make good work of the algae, including the brown diatoms that grows on the sand.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have used Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover with great success. You don't have to remove the carbon until after the treatment is complete. Then you remove it for 24 hours.

"The use of chemi-clean not only as a problem solver, when red slime is present, but as a regular maintenance procedure will help keep your water crystal clear and your tank free of unwanted cynobacteria.

For best results, turn off UV sterilizer or Ozonizer and Protein Skimmer. Remove Chemi-Pure or Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment.

It is advisable to do at least a 20% water change after full treatment.
    "

This is all you need to do. :)