Cheato

Discussion in 'Algae' started by starfish2217, Aug 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

My macro looks crappy, its turning pale on the top, is this from too much light or not enough light?? should I pull it out and how do I know if its dead. Thanks! I will try to take a decent picture of it.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

If it's in slow moving water it will trap detritus and that can cause die off. If it's floating and the very top is exposed that will cause die off and yellowing. IME the cure for both is to manually flip it every couple days.
    I've also found that giving it a good shaking in a bucket of saltwater from a w/c is pretty beneficial to it's over all health. Of course if you do that you'll need to recover rinsed out pods if you are cheap like me. :)

How long has the tank been up? If you've got a killer skimmer it's entirely possible your water doesn't have sufficient nutrients to support macro's.

4. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

haha mine is FULL of copeods so Im sure I will save a few ;) I have a 40 gal set up. im not sure if its the nutrient thing... its in very low flow I think I need to increase the flow thats for sure. I will flip it and see.