Cheapo Battery Powered Air Pump Saved My Fish Today

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This cheapo Marina battery powered air pump that cost me $9 dollars saved my fish today and I had to share. I've been talking a lot with fellow 3reefers about getting a UPS backup system lately and - what do you know - the transformers on my block blew up yesterday while we were running errands. The power was out for over 12 hours. This little air pump kept my fish alive. Get one now.

[​IMG]
    The Marina Battery-Powered Air Pump

[​IMG]
    Batteries from the 99 cent store were still going after 12 hours

[​IMG]

When the Marina air pump kicked in, I felt a lot better about my situation. It has a fairly strong air pump for what it is and I could easily see a lot of water movement with the air stone in my aquarium. My tank had been sitting for hours, was stagnant and smelled. This battery pump was a life saver. My prized Bangaii Cardinal fish including the baby and my Coral Beauty all survived.

I am definitely going to get a real backup system on the aquarium, but this little pump really came through. I highly recommend you have something, AT LEAST this around for those nasty blackouts. More below from my backup post:

I believe I got mine from 3reef sponsor Big Als Online:
    Battery Operated Air Pumps

That was a close one. I am psyched.

matt

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Glad that worked out for you Matt

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thank you sir. Me too. :)

matt

1 person likes this.
  5. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Wow, nice save. Makes me realize I really have no insurance for when the power goes out. I've never thought about it because someone is always home and if there was a blackout I would be notified.

Still, great suggestion and probably something we should all do regardless. +K

1 person likes this.
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. That was my hope with this thread. Thanks for the karma! 8)

matt

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow 12 hours without power...long time. Glad it all worked out, thanks to your little pump. :)

8. Click Here!

9. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

When you say cheapo your correct lol. Had 3 from smart mart, all 3 died within 6 months. So i went the only good true way to go. Generator from lowes got the little tailgate one like 400 bucks. It runs tank, tv & dvd, coffee pot and a small 1 rm heater. The 2nd and most important part is to teach the wife how to operate it.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

these cheap little battery operated air pumps are a must have, i have one and have used it more than once when power went out.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

These are a necessity IMO. Everyone should purchase one. Who knows if your power might go out in the middle of the night and you can't run out and buy one.

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

mine saved my tank multiple times. def a must have for all reefers.