Cheap T5 Fixture

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by kzziboy, Aug 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

I know this is the wrong hobby to get into if you're cheap. Well, I'm not exactly cheap, but if there's a deal I want to find it. Where can you by a CHEAP T5 Fixture? Just a simple 4 ft. 2 bulb fixture. I want to put it under my hood with two 175 watt Metal Halides.
    Lowe's? Online somewhere? By cheap I mean under $75.
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

4. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Looks perfect. Anyone use this system?

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I know I will make some people rage, but for supplimental lighting imo there is nothing wrong with the odyssea 2-4 bulbs fixtures. I use a 4 bulb from them on my 75 and it works just fine. Granted I am not big into SPS so it fits the bill for what I need.

6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I run Odyssea fixtures on all of my aquariums, 4 fixtures in total. However, I run ATI T5's and Phoenix 14k's in place of the stock bulbs.

10. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

yes i have several in use comes with water prof end caps and bulb hangers.

11. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow Looking at those Odyssea they are cheap and look nice but the fact there's a separate plug for each unit is a nightmare... The 36" unit featuring 2 metal halide, 4 T5, 4 moonlight LED, and a fan has 6 plugs.. That's a whole power strip just for 1 light... Not to mention the ballasts are external so your having a few bricks laying around.

12. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

None of those things matter when you have the correct equipment to go with it. In fact, I like having separate plugs for everything because you can control each light through independent timers. I know it seems like a lot but all I did was buy a couple of those concert power strips that are solid metal with 10 outlets each. 2 of those give me 20 outlets and I still don't even use half of them. Also, I prefer the external ballasts because it keeps the unit thin, you just hide the ballasts where ever you hide everything else and it's no big deal really. OP didn't ask about any of this, so I'm just ranting, but I had to say something because the points you make about why these units are bad are the exact points that make the unit perfect for me.