Cheap Food!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by omard, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i am tempted to do something similar.i wanna use smaller stuff like cyclopeaze and dt,ans chopped mysis type stuff.lfs charges like $25 for rods food which is excellent

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Otty,

Main tank gets only a chunk about 1/2" square a day in AM...then about half that of mixed flake in PM.

Cleaned up promptly.

No trouble whatsoever with PO[SUB]4[/SUB], or algae buildbup....no reactor. Everyone seems happy...

8)

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i think you just get that from frozen foods you buy already frozen.they put stuff in with it that leaves a surface film on the water.if you make it yourself and don't added anything to it your fine

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I feed 2, sometimes 3 frozen cubes a day and I dont have a Po3/4 reactor nor Po3/4 in my tank. I was under the impression that frozen foods are better than dry. Luna

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

My guess would have been with the frozen. Not the way Omard did, but from the store. I suspect they add preservatives like silicates and such adding to the PO4 problem.

"
    Additives such as pH stabilizers or carbon, and frozen fish food are potential external phosphate sources. Avoiding phosphate containing products as well as testing of the replacement water for phosphates can further help prevent accumulation. If in doubt, additives, carbon, pH buffers, and the water should be tested and replaced if necessary.

The biggest source of organic phosphate is fish food. 5 grams of flake food can increase the organic phosphate level by 0.4 ppm. The filters and substrate have to be cleaned regularly before the organic phosphate is mineralized to inorganic orthophosphate."

I would suspect the method Omard used was the cleanest. I just cant see my self cutting up that pile of stuff.

7. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

well, I'm going to stick with this feeding style for a while. I just became aware that the store-bought frozen foods should be rinsed, something I've never done, and I feed frozen foods almost exclusively!
    This may be the reason I am experiencing some algae problems!
    I also wanted to comment on cyclopeeze, Some people seem to swear by it, I swear at it!!!
    Maybe it's just because I've used the 'Freeze dried' stuff, but it never seems to sink! Soaking it doesn't seem to help. It's too buoyant to ever reach the fish or corals.
    Sorry it this appears to be a hi-jack...