cheap alternative for filter socks

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Sataly, Mar 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

So Ive been using filter socks for my entire life of the 90 and I finally got tired of them getting all muggy looking and went out to get some new ones. Came across the micron bag filter socks and thought they were pretty neat but decided against it because this lfs was selling them for 12 a pop! So started looking around and failed to find nothing cheap compared to the original. Then I found these. I'm in the process of building my house (yay!) And when I was pulling out the trim for the bathrooms to make sure they're not damaged I happened to look at these! They looked well enough to use and easier to clean. So used a small one I found in one the boxes and it works amazingly! I figured that I couldn't just buy a faucet Everytime I needed one so I went to my local craft store and found the same exact material they used for the bags. Had my mother in law sew the bag the way I wanted it with the pull string and BAM! Cheap filter bag. I can make a another 8 or more if I really wanted to from the material left over. Grey one is from the faucet the black one is the hand made one.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice DIY.

Someone once posted filter bags similar to the ones the SW industry has, but these were for filtering Biodiesel I think. They were way less expensive.

Let us know how these work out

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I've never used them until recently and I must say I like them x100. My sump is quieter, no weird particles making it back up in my DT when I turn the afterburners on my powerheads. Takes all of ten minutes to clean them and back in action.