Changing salts

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Swisswiss, Mar 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

So my lfs had a sale, buy one get one free kinda story. Of course this offer was not applicable to red seas coral pro but I gave in to temptation anyway and got two 25kg crystal reef salt by aquarium system. The other salt I felt was mainly focused on fowlrs systems.

And one with personal experience using this salt? Do I need to go through a transition period to slowly introduce this salt? I'm mainly concerned about my nems....

2. Click Here!

3. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Make the switch slowly, some even do partial changes with both salts to lessen the changes... each salt has a slightly different chemical makeup and if one has higher alk then your tank is used to for instance it could be disastrous.

4. Swisswiss

How would you say slowly? Do a 5% weekly instead of 10 and let my trates build up a opposed to messing with the alk?

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've never had an issue with switching salt brands. Keep in mind, with a 10% water change, you're only changing 10% of the difference between them... far from being dramatic.

6. Swisswiss

Merci, that's what I was thinking