Changing Odyssea bulbs - luna, mission, whoever else

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by sessionthree, Oct 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yea that would work. Sounds like session may need to do that if he had to take the right side of his fixture off to replace the bulbs.

2. Click Here!

3. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Yeah, I was actually thinking about doing that (extending the wires to the moonlights on the panels - especially the middle one) if I can't easily just make the MH glass covers flip down.

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Don't take this in the wrong way anyone who has bought an oddessy light...I do mean this as a legitimate question (I am looking into new lighting)....based on the difficulties with changing bulbs, having to replace ballasts, etc. Do these lights really save you any money, and are they worth the effort...vs. a more main stream lighting solution?

5. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

Instead of extending the wiring I jus pop the moon lights out of the aluminim bracket and then pop them back in. I too broke a few of those solder points with the bulb starting issues I had :) Thank goodness for new ballasts!

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont go through the trouble that Sessionthree and Mission go through when changing out bulbs. Purchasing an Odyssea light fixture(OLF) depends on you. If you like to take things apart, work with your hands and want to save some $$$, then yes, buy one. To this date, I've spent $329.(unit), $260(ballast) and $20(Replaced cooling fans), which adds up to $609.00 Lets say that I also want to up grade my PC ballast too, thats $130.00, thats brings us to $739.00. If you where to buy the same fixture with the same features, your talking around $1100. Which is a Coralife Aqualight Pro.
    [​IMG]
    Most units dont come with the bulbs, so add $250(-/+) so that brings it up to $1350. And thats a low-medium range unit, lets not even talk about the high-end units like Giesemann. You do the math, I spent $739.00 compared to $1350.00 Luna

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Good info, thanks. I like to tinker with pumps, plumbing, etc. Not wild about the electrical stuff...I may shy away from the oddessy stuff. Great info to have though. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

It really isn't that big of a deal. I bought mine used.. so I'm not sure how old it is.. already I'm replacing the actinic ballast and the fans. The changing bulb thing doesn't really bother me.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Which ballast did you get for the PC's? Can you take a pic of your unit?
    Luna

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

A picture of my unit ? That's really gross.. j/k

Here's the unit and I bought a Coralife Dual ballast 96W. I got two square pin converters , but they still don't work. They're brand new bulbs... so I'm not sure if the old ballast zapped them or what. I ordered two more bulbs today... getting expensive...I'm about ready to throw it in the dumpster.

Attached Files:

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think that thats the wrong ballast for the unit, I think you need something like this.
    [​IMG]

Its not the bulbs. My unit looks the same as yours. If you have 5 cords, then they are the same. Luna