Changing Odyssea bulbs - luna, mission, whoever else

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by sessionthree, Oct 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Luna and/or Mission,

You guys warned me that changing bulbs in the Odyssea 48" MH fixture was a PITA. Ok, I see that now after doing it.

I'm not sure I did it the "correct" way. How do you guys do it?

Thanks,
    Clayton

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Session,
    Are you just changing the bulbs or the whole fixture?
    I've had no troubles replacing my bulbs...but if for some reason your upgrading the actual fixture, then I can see some issues...but all in all, unless I'm missing the boat here...It is fairly simple...remove the ends...slide out the lunars and glass, half goes out one way..the other half the other way...everything should have clip connectors, if its a real Odyssea, then just snap in the bulbs...and going deeper...a couple of screws hold the fixtures in place...replace with like style, should be it....but PITA could be used...you practically have to dismantle the whole assembly....6 screws on one end and 2 on the other...just to change the bulbs. lol : )
    Do they work?... then your good....just make sure everything is in its tracking so nothing falls in the tank....replace all the screws...dats'it. ; )
    LG

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im not sure what your saying/asking b/c changing out the bulbs isnt that much of a pita. I dont know which fixture you have, but this is the way I change my bulbs out.

To the left of the unit is an oversized plastic screw. After you have unscrewed it, slide out that plate. You will need to slide the other plate that has a clear lens where the lunar light shines through, slide the glass shield to the point that you can exchange the bulb. Now the center piece, much longer plate, has to slide also so you can slide the actual glass shield to get to the bulb. Hope this helps. Luna

5. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

Changing the bulbs is easy. The issues arise with the new bulbs not starting up. Have you installed new bulbs yet?

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I changed actinics and daylights recently . The actinics worked for a couple of days then just stopped working. So I ordered a new ballast.. we'll see.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Do the bulbs not work now? Is that why you are questioning how you did it?

8. Click Here!

9. sessionthree

I changed out the MH bulbs as well as the PCs. I also upgraded to IceCap MH ballasts so I definitely have no problems with the bulbs. (The new bulbs with IceCap ballasts made my eyes bulge out when I saw the results, btw.)

I just asked because I practially had to take the whole thing apart to replace the MHs. Replacing the PCs were easy, but the MHs were another story. It sounds like I did it the only possible way it could have been done, though. I may modify the fixture somehow so that I can just flip open the MH glass covers instead of taking the freakin' thing a part.

Thanks everyone.

-Clayton

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely a pita to take apart. I think the one luna has is a bit easier. He has the older style.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im not sure if the one I have is older or easier, but when it comes to changing either MH or PC bulbs, I have to take the unit and place it on the floor up side down( bulbs facing me/up). Then slide a bunch of alum. plates to get to the MH bulbs and a clear plastic cover for the PC's. Its still a pita, but on the bright side of this story, this is done only once every 8-12 months. lol Luna

12. sessionthree

Luna, mine is nearly brand new (just bought it a little over a month ago now I guess.) Anyway, it looks like mine could be done the same way as yours. In fact that's how I started. I slid the first panel (which housed two of the moon light modules) out and unplugged their connectors. Then I was able to slide the first glass out to replace the MH. I then thought I would just slide the middle moonlight out of the way to get to the other MH, but the connections are so tight, that I can't. I had to take the other side off (the side with the switches and more screws) to work my way back the other way. When I took that side off, the light pretty much fell apart and I had to put it all back together.

-Clayton