Changing all my rock to get rid of algae once and or all!!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by TheSurgeonSween, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

I have tried everything to get rid of the red wiry alage, so now I'm going to order 30lbs of base rock from reefcleaners. I'm going to replace this with my current live rock and leave 10lbs of that. Is there any specific requests on rock sizes that I should tell reefcleaners for a 28g nanocube ?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

I've thought about it but I would like to redo my squad ape anyways. I'll feel like I'm starting over again but I'll know everything to do haha

5. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

It seems a bit drastic, but if you've tried other things and had no luck maybe so. 30lbs of base rock won't set you back to much anyway.

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i agree with bulldo, it sounds really extreme, then again i never had an algae outbreak i was unable to control (knock on wood). taking apart a tank with critters inside could be a risk, especially in a small system.

you might stir up the sand causing toxin spikes, re-arranging the rocks will mean re defining territories that might lead to aggression. make sure you do your homework before you do this, not to mention what are you going to do with your old rock?

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What kind of algae is it?
    Doing this will not get rid of it. It will still have spores in tge water, sand and remaining rock. It will come back. The only way to remove algae is to control its nutrients, find critters that eat it, or nuke the whole system. This is why I never use live rock ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I would like to throw in, if you haven't figured what is fueling the algae growth in the first place the rock you leave in will just spread the algae to the new rock. I have wiry red algae and I think it has run it's course. I have gotten a GFO reactor, a calcium reactor (keeps my chemistry more stable) and a new skimmer and I am finally seeing some improvement.

10. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I agree with some of the others here, if you don't make changes in what your doing, you will have the same battle no matter how many times you change your rock.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My tank crashed and I had a huge algae problem - I wanted to replace all my rock. But really, that wasn't needed.

I scrubbed all my rock and got all the algae off, then started doing large water changes every week for about a month...got a super good clean up crew, then moved water to about 25% water changes every 2 weeks...

No algae has come back! Your water is probably just so full of nutrients and you're really going to have to tackle this to beat it. Throwing new base rock in won't do anything - you'll just get algae all over that. You have to treat the cause.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What water are ur using and lights? +1 to the above! If you don't change why it's happening it will just happen again!