changin tank position

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jeremy, Apr 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey all!

I've finnaly finished makin my cabinet. (well nearly, all i gotta do is putty the nail holes and varnish the thing.) I've also ordered a sump. its got kinda weird dimensions: 2.5 by 1 by 1.5 high. It should hold 20 gallons of water, taking my total up to around 60- 70 gallons. I'm also getting my tank drilled out when the sump is made. im gonna tell u how im goona move the tank, but im pretty sure that u can give me some better suggestions. 1: the cabinet will be put in its position. 2: the sump will be put in the cabinet. 3: the sump will be filled with half my tanks water, the fish, corals and lr. my sand will go in a bucket with some water. 4: the tank will be cleaned, taken into the store and drilled out plumbed. 5: the tank will then be taken home, put in the cabinet, and the sand will go in. 6: ill make up half the tank full of fresh salt water, place the corals, lr fish in, and then fill it up with the remaining water in the sump. I don't have a sump pump yet, so the water level wont be above the overflow.

Tell me what u think!

thanx

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's a daunting task.  but it sounds like you have it under control.  I would make sure you have a heater and a punp in your buckets with you LR and fish/corals.

I had a leak not to long ago and I had my LR in one bucket(garbage can) my corals in a short large storage bucket and my fish in the Q-Tank.  It worked very well no losses.  The short coral shorage bucket was about 2' x 1.5' so a PC strip was able to be placed over the whole thing

Good luck Shrimpman
    Take some pics so we can see how it went

J  

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

uff sounds like a lotta work your maken me tired just readin all that :p lol just kiddin

glad its comin along so well :) :)

5. Jeremy

8) Yeah! 8)

The tank has been moved sucsessfully! the sump and the tank are all in the cabinet, and everything has been installed. the sump pump is a rio 2500, so it gives me plenty of water movement, in fact, i have to turn it down a bit. all the fish a swimming out and not hiding, which is a good sign, and all the corals are out too. i gota find the digital camera to take sum pics.

cheers.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Cool dude, post those pics of your masterpiece!

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Jeremy

All seems well in the tank, the corals are really extended, and the fish looks happy. I think i will get my water tested at the LFS in a month, just to see how its going. I think i need another compartment in my sump to hold the refugium, and i also think that i will do it myself, due to the cost of getting it done at the LFS. i will have to purchase some aquarium silicone and get the glass cut. Got an awesome book on corals for B'day, so im pumpin myself with info.

cheers. SM

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

11. Jeremy

;D hey all, how r we doin?

i got some new suction cups for my powerhead, they are the rubber ones, not plastic. so now the powerhead doesn't fall off the glass all the time. YAY! now that i have most of the equipment, im concentrating on getting more live rock. I think i will have it sloped to hide the overflow pipe. Just lettin u know where im at.

Jeremy 8)