Changed pump on skimmer, now no foam?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Fish Fan, Mar 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I changed the pump on my G3 skimmer, the pump that came with it was a Sedra 3500, basically the wrong size pump. I got the skimmer off of Craig's list for a good price. My question is since I changed the pump the skimmer does not produce a lot of foam. Does a new pump have to break in the same as a new skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. mrbanggai101

mrbanggai101 Astrea Snail

I'm thinking it's broken or is a fake that doesn't give as much force as the real thing. If I were you, I would only buy from your lfs or from reputable online stores. Maybe to fix your problem you could mount the skimmer higher in your aquarium, as the lower the air has to go, the harder it is on the air pump.
    Hope I helped, N

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes invariably there will be some break in. Be sure the venturi is clean with no salt buildup.These skimmers do best in 7-9 inches of water.Just putting your hands in the tank can sometimes cause foam production to stop.I would give it a few days.;)

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Yea if it is a new pump it will take a day or 2 to start making foam. My skimmer stops making foam for an hour or so after i put a hand in tank, or feed the tank.

A NEW pump will have oils on it from the manufacturing process that will cause no foam, it takes a few days to wash off. So just give it a few days.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

ALSO- I know nothing about your set up, but

Did you take it aprt to see the impeller on the new pump? Does it coime with a needle/bristle/brush wheel?, or just a regular impeller.

This also make a big difference, make sure the air ventui is also free of salt builup.

I agree with the previous advice for sure

7. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

That is what I thought but was not positive. Thanks every one for the feed back.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So then, it's a pump with an impeller to be used as a skimmer pump?