Change out my sand?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Astrick117, Oct 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Ok, so I just moved to a new apartment and I have to move my tank over tomorrow night. I currently have a shallow sand bed in my tank and have had some algae growing on the top of it, but have been able to fight it back a bit with water changes.

My question is- do you think it is worth it to change out the sandbed when I move it or would it be just as effective to "wash" it and reuse it? I've moved plenty of tanks before and have done both options, but can't say I've noticed a difference one way or another.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If this is a nano tank get a new bag of sand and seed it with some of the existing sand. I moved plenty of nanos to know that TONs of detritus collects, a new bag of live or dry sand is just not sooooo expensive. If this was a larger tank I would rinse all sand in SW until as clear as I could tolerate and call it a day while saving some money.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea, its my 29g Biocube. Its just annoying cause I looked at my LFS yesterday and all they have is the live sand for $30 for 20lbs. Such a rip-off IMO, but I really don't have time to order online and wait for a shipment.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Then just rinse it with SW if you can to preserve the bacteria as much as possible, it'll be fine. I posted the best case scenario, but plenty of people have moved dirty sand beds without issue, some do have problems though.

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea, I think thats what I'm going to do...I'll have plenty of extra since I'm doing a 50% water change during the move process. I may buy some extra later and just add it over time to make the bed a just a little deeper

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Honestly, you could move a tank that size without disturbing the sand at all. With only the sand and enough water to keep it wet, I've found 29g tanks plenty easy to handle. You might want to start vacuuming the sand periodically to prevent detritus build-up.

mdbostwick and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I recently started vacuuming my sandbed and already there is a noticeable difference in my fight with cyano. It is a bit of a pain to do but has been well worth it.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Do you recommend vacuuming the sand bed while doing a WC? Mine gets pretty nasty looking. I would prefer it to be squeaky clean, but have heard differing opinions on this.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I vacuum once a week when doing water changes.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  12. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Any recommendations as to what type or brand of vacuum to get or are they all the same?