Chalice rescue

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by barbianj, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I'm helping to recover a friends little green chalice. Had it since Jan 16th, and FINALLY got it to eat last night. It started snacking on some Nutramar Ova. I grabbed the D10 to take some close-up underwater pictures, three in succession from different angles. I like to take pictures just to document growth, and this little guy has grown about 30 % since I've had it. The chalice is very small, about 1/2".

You can click on the pictures to get a larger image.

Picture #1. Slurping up the last of the eggs. Notice the bristleworm on the right.

[​IMG]

Picture #2. Bristleworm is getting up close and friendly.

[​IMG]

Picture #3. Digging right in and eating the Ova right out of the chalice's mouth.

[​IMG]

Picture #4. After chasing the worm away, the chalice had another helping.
    [​IMG]

I didn't notice that the worm was on the coral until I reviewed the pictures on the camera. I've had this happen before when rescuing corals, and it can make it difficult to nurse theml back to health when the scavengers learn where the easy pickins are. Guess a bristleworms gotta eat, too. :p

Close-up, the bristleworms don't like to touch the coral, but on small or damaged ones, they can reach the mouth without touching the rest of it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Those are great images barbianj

the bristlewoom, no-one ever suspects the bristleworm
    and you caught it in the act on camera

Steve

4. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Agreed! I have never seen a bristleworm steal food from a coral like that!

:lol:

6. barbianj

Thanks, Steve :thumb_up:

I wish it was the first time. I've had a few rescued corals that have had bristleworm issues. This Blasto had empty feather duster tubes where the bristleworms lived. When they smelled food, they would come out and get it.

[​IMG]

Now that the head is recovered, the worms can't bother it, and it's starting to grow a ring of babies. Free Blasto!

[​IMG]

This Scoly was another rescue, but didn't make it. Someone cut it in half and attached a disk for it to re-grow onto. The plate had a hole in the center where bristleworms would crawl out to steel food. This picture doesn't show the bristleworms, it had mouths that were eager to eat, but it was being raped by the worms.

In all three cases, it may have been the brisleworms that caused the decline of the corals, I'll never know for sure. At least I was able to save two of them. :p

[​IMG]

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Excellent thread dude, thanks for sharing

8. Click Here!

9. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Well, I'll be hogtied and hornswoggled! Varmint caught in the act....LOL

E

10. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thats just to funny, when i hand feed my corals my tang and my lawnmower blenny like to steal the food from them, so i have to try and shoo them away from my acans so they can eat even after i feed the fish :p

11. barbianj

Thank you, sir!

Sometimes I think I watch things too closely.

Same here. The only fish that I have to worry about is the Leopard Wrasse. After she eats, I turn the lights off for 10 minutes to trick her into going to sleep. ;D Works every time.

12. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Im going to try that next time!! My yellow tang is the one that will go right into my nem and steal the krill, i dont want him to get hurt so i have my hand in there to shoo him away, but he jumps right in the nem, and will grab the food, or my cleaner shrimp wil jump right in and throw it infront of my power head and all my fish get to share, they plot against my spot feeding!