chalice receding

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Peredhil, Jun 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I put a chalice in my tank Friday. It was very pretty and it is my first Chalice.

It has been slowly receding. I can see a bit more skeleton today than I could originally (originally I could barely make out skeleton tips).

I've been thinking this is kind of normal, but want to confirm. Should I be worried?

Peredhil

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Not normal. People that have had this problem usually had success by dipping the chalices in something like Tropical Marine Pro Coral Cure (TMPCC), Reviv (yes, thats spelled right) or Lugols. Personally, I have been using Brightwell Aquatics' Restor and I love it. I would definately give it a dip though, got pics?

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

thanks for the tip I just brough my first chalice today.

5. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Yeah, for what its worth, I always dip my new corals now. Im overdue for updated Galaxea picks, but you can see what a little TLC and some dipping will due for stressed corals.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I purchased a fairly good sized Miami Hurricane chalice a while back. Mine receeded quite a bit rather quickly (about 10 polyps at least). I dipped it in Revive and not much improvement.

I then dipped in lugols a couple times and it started looking much better. It is now growing nicely.

Is the chalice protected from light and off the sand? I have MH and have had to place it under a ledge to cut back on the light....they dont tolerate bright light. Also try to not move it...I recently moved it a little and I think it might have receeded a tad since then.

Personally....I love the look of chalices but they are a royal PIA and not worth the hassel IMO! I dont think I will buy anymore.

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

If it was fresh cut or not fully healed it might pull back a little bit while it gets acclimated. Just make sure it's getting some light not too much, good circulation but not blasting it with flow, and that it is not getting disturbed or picked at by anything in the tank. Mine seem to be pretty sensitive to alkalinity changes so maybe the source tank and yours have a bit different parameters.
    It's still pretty new in the tank so I wouldn't worry if you're confident in all of your chemistry parameters.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I am confident in my params being correct and stable.

It is in direct light, about halfway down, under T5's. They came from under MH (according to Vivid's website) so I figured halfway down under T5 would be a good amount of light (not too much anyway).

It looks the same today as it did yesterday (which is actually an improvement in that it's not worse :-/)

It was a bit expensive. So a little bummed about that too. I will keep updating this until it gets better or withers to nothing.

10. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

You say its about half-way down? I would place it on the sand.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Long term or just for it to get better?

12. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Im with shackmel on this pia. I had a big one at least 6 inches and it withered away to nothing and I tossed it in the back of the tank and left it. It actually did fine when I did this. I cant say I would buy another for a while. They can disappear within a few days, so good luck. Mine did alright at the back w/o light.