Chalice ID?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by April Hope, Feb 26, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Since I'm on a roll trying to get some of my coral ID'd. How about this chalice? The closest thing I can find is a bloody treasure? Thoughts? image.jpeg

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

There are so many variations in the colors of corals I have learned not to sweat it too much. Common names are just that and where probably made up by an aquarist just like you. Make up your own.:)
    How about Christmas chalice???

DSC reef and cody3819 like this.
  4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Looks like a browned out Hollywood stunner.

Unfortunately with common names, if you get it without a common name that has some sort of lineage, you can't just "add a name" though many people do.

5. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Lol you crack me up. I figured this was a super common chalice and everyone but me knew the name. I think it looks like
    oh, it actually does look like that. Is it the same theory with chalices as acro to get the color back? We bought a whole tank from a hobbiest going out of business. The tank was very unhealthy, full of aiptasia, algae, majano, poor lighting but tons of corals, fish and fun stuff. Now I'm in the process to figure it out and try to make it healthy and pretty again if I can.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Opposite of acros IME. Browned out acros generally need more light and more flow. Chalices usually need less light to color up again. Flow varies from species to species, stunner generally likes more flow

7. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

And how about seriatopora? Brown or whitening?

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Not sure I understand the question; if it's brown more light if its white, less.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I don't think that chalice is browned out at all IMO. The dark red is very prominent and the eyes are still very bright so I believe it's the actual color. Possibly the same species of chalice as the stunner but a different color variant. Chalices are tricky, some of mine color up in high light and others low light and moderate flow.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Also, the names on most corals are made up like vinny said which all the coral stores do. Most of them are the same coral with different colors. Some have lineage like hornet zoas or ORA easter egg chalice but most are made up names by vendors so you can call it whatever you want.

12. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Okie dokie! April Suprise is its new name. Lol