Chaeto in fuge

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jdizzle707, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdizzle707

jdizzle707 Plankton

Hi All,

I am growing Chaeto in my fuge partition which is directly under my DT drain. This tank is going through a mini-cycle because it was an established tank that we moved 30 miles into a new location. All the substrate (which is now gone) got stirred and caused a nitrate spike. Anyhow, I've been maintaining it and it appears to be doing better.

Today I discovered the Chaeto section of my fuge to have a very bubbly surface and its a lot browner compared to the neighboring section where my protein skimmer is. I just turned off the Chaeto lighting and I'll keep it off for another 3 days. Any thoughts as to what is going on here and what would be a good remedy?

Thanks much
    JD

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Don't bother it and keep your lighting as was. This is normal and good, remember - this is nothing more than a swamp you are growing. My fuge has all nasty bubbles and brown yuck on top - I'd only touch it if it were causing a smell, other than that let it be.