CFL or LED for macro algae in refuge

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by nanomania, Dec 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

I am setting up an all led 30g nano reef. can i go with cool white and warm white led for growing macro (cheato) 50:50 ratio? or only cool white led? or should i just go for cfl? im also planning on adding some mangroves in future. if anyone is growing cheato or other macro under led with success, please post the pics too of ur setup.

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

save the money, a single 150w equivelant cfl bulb in a $5 clip on reflector will grow all the chateo and mangroves you need. just read the package closely to confirm the spectrum is in the 5200 - 6700k range

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I agree, the price is impossible to beat!!

But, if you really want to use LEDs get all red in 660nm running 18 hours on and 6 off.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

they have some led flood lights that i have seen used over sumps. and fuges.

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I have an aqua top 36 L.E.D clip on that I bought from ebay for $20 on my h.o.b refugium/skimmer for my 29 gallon and it is doing a great job growing chaeto. I run it reverse 6PM-6AM. It looks really cool as well! Although, I think the CFL would work better for caulerpa or mangrov's. The pics are a little older and the chaeto has really taken off since then.

Attached Files:

7. nanomania

well i am planning on GU10 bulbs. well you get blue, cool white and warm white bulbs. they are just 4$ each. i know people growing sps under these. and cfl bulbs are for 7-8$ im anyways ordering many bulbs so was just asking that are they good at growing cheato? if yes, then should i mix warm and cool white? my main reason for LED refuge is that i never remember when 6 months are over and i forget to change my bulbs. and led las for like 2-3yrs.

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I use both on my LED and CFL on my refugium. The LEDs work fine, but cost a ton more. Only problem is that my mangroves are burning under the LEDs as they grow. Don't have room to raise the light yet.

10. nanomania

so i guess CFL would be a safer bet, or if u got a good distance between the surface and the light like around 12", led is good?

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I dont have any experiance with the LED's yet but just an FYI on the CFL lifespan, they are typically rated for 50,000+ hours or 6 years whichever comes first :joker:

12. nanomania

well i know but the spectrum decreases gradually in CFL and iv read that you need to chenge them every 6 months.