ceramic DIY live rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reef_guru, Jan 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

people have tried cement, foam and who knows what else to make rock looking formations in their aquariums. all have good and bad side effects. ceramic seems to be coming of age also. what are the good and bad side effects of using ceramic in saltwater?

2. Click Here!

3. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Ceramic contains many minerals that can and will leach into the system. One reason for glazing ceramic dinnerware, is to contain those same minerals... There are sometimes even some very noxious things in the ceramics... Though probably none in the ceramics used in the "made for reef" ceramic false rock. Any how I'm not an expert on the subject, but I have heard this from more than a few. Another aspect is cost. Most ceramic is costly, at least more costly than cement... Just my $.02!

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

every time i get a frag on a ceramic disc it ends up having tiny red flatworms on it.its as if it attracts them.

5. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Having experience w/ ceramics,in addition to what was said above, one it will weigh alot! two it will be very costly, and three if for any reason it falls, it will break, or will break something (ie bottom pane of glass in a tank)

6. talofalava

talofalava Plankton

light weight non leaching ceramic

recently purchased a ceramic live rock alternative called vidarock made by a usa co called cerameco. It is very light and super porous and hasnt changed my water levels at all. It looks real good also and was cheap. They sold to me direct because there was no store that carried their product in my area.

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I put a ceramic piece of tile in my tank for my clowns to lay eggs on and I'm having a cyano outbreak now. I'm not sure if it's related, but it may be leaching phosphates.

8. Click Here!

9. 50JumpChump

50JumpChump Flamingo Tongue

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Got a link to this?

11. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

1 person likes this.
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting. Thanks!