Center brace workarounds.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by enochj, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. enochj

enochj Plankton

I have a new 75 gallon with that I'm setting up for corals. I'm concerned because the center brace is broken, and I've read a number of horror stories about what can happen if the glass is under too much pressure. Right now, I have it drained down to about 40% and it appears to have stopped bowing (the two cracked halves of the brace are touching now; at full they were a centimeter apart).

What I want to know is, would it be safe to keep the tank unusually shallow for its size? I've heard that shallower is better for corals anyway, and I could attach a longer vinyl tube to my skimmer and move the pump lower. It seems easier than making a Eurobrace (I don't have a sealant gun or really any experience with that).

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

4. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

That is a very easy repair that ANYONE can do..

Is your center brace Glass..?
    Do you have a frame around the top..?? How long is your tank..
    Let me know this info, and I can get you going and it'll only cost you around 10 bucks for the repair..

My tanks are home made 55 gal. 24 gal, etc.. . And I did have one center brace come loose.. We learned alot along the way.. !!!

Give me alittle more info..

Later, Larry

You don't need a....I don't have a sealant gun or really any experience with that

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  5. enochj

enochj Plankton

The center brace is plastic, apparently made of the same stuff as the trim (frame?). The tank is 48 inches from end to end, a little over 18 inches front to back and it looks as though the panes are just under a centimeter thick.

6. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a tank in the same shape, that I have to repair..
    If it were glass to glass, it would be easier.. BUT still no problem.. Give me a couple hours to go look at my tank.. and will be right back..

Larry

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Sounds like your typical 100-120G tank. If it is a glass tank, you can actually make your own center brace out of glass and silicon. A 3" wide 1/4" thick glass cut to the length of the inside of the front-back dimension of your tank will work well. Run a generous layer of silicone around the edge of that brace that contacts the tank on both ends. Let it dry for 2 days and give it a slight tug to make sure it is secure. I would have that glass brace right under the plastic brace that has broken. You can also try to super glue the plastic brace back together, then try to melt the joint together with some contact adhesive, or something along that line to further reinforce it. With that and the glass brace, you should be ok. Check the edge seams of the tank to make sure none of the corner silicone bonds look damaged.

8. Click Here!

9. barkrulz

barkrulz Astrea Snail

i repaired a cracked plastic brace that was just waiting to go with some flat metal brackets that are sold in pairs at HD (tons of sizes), they are in the hinge isle and i used some loctite plastic epoxy that says it is aquarium safe.

empty enough water to get the brace touching or get a cabinet clamp and very carefully close it till the brace is JUST touching.

i was dry when i did it, if you are still wet MAKE SURE the epoxy does not get in the water (i think aqurium safe is BS but this part is not in the water so..)any kinda catch you can rig is fine, and it will catch the drill shavings.

put the top bracket in place (two holes on each side) and drill one hole, using some machine screws and nuts (washers as needed) line it up and place the bottom one on make sure they are in line with each other and tighten.

now you should be able to drill thru the hole on the farthest end from the screw you just put in the bracket. put a screw in and tighten.

then drill the last two and secure with the machine screws.

I did this on a freshy tank so not as much problem with rust and such, but since it isn't in the water you should be fine, i'd use stainless steel brackets and screws. could probably even cover with a little tank sealant to cover the metal which wold keep it from corroding, but mind you leave space to inspect for new cracks.

i eventually replaced the top with a new piece, i had no canopy so it was kinda sanford and son looking. i tore it apart and saw no new signs of cracking at the repair.

not sure about salt water (i'm a salt newbie) and the metal, can anyone add to that. I'd think since it's not in the water anything would be fine but i'd still use stainless and seal it if you go this route.

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would just support it with at 2x4 and make sure the 2x4 is a hair lower then the rest of the frame if it is higher then center glass will bow up and that is not good.

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

sorry is it bottom center or top center

12. enochj

enochj Plankton

It's top center.