Caulerpa in Fuge: good or bad

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Dally69, Sep 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dally69

Dally69 Plankton

Hello, I'm starting up my in sump refugium within the next couple of day and I was going to put Chaeto in there and maybe a mangrove and be done with it but my buddy said he's getting some Feather Caulerpa and he would give me some. Before I introduce anything in my tank research the hell out of it. I've read that it can be dangerous and take over the display but I haven't seen anyone have problem with it. I just want to know if y'all think I should be okay using Caulerpa in my Refugium or if I should stick to Cheato

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

http://www.reefcleaners.org/macroalgae-care
    Good article on calupera and macro's in general. The biggest problem people have is them going "sexual" in the tank. The odds of this can be greatly reduced by pruning and either running the fuge lights for 24 hours or opposite to the main tank lights.

BTW for mangroves to be effective, you'll need quite a few in your tank, a mangrove will have almost no noticeable impact.

4. Dally69

Dally69 Plankton

Thank you, so as long as I keep it pruned and keep the lights on I should be fine?

5. Dally69

Dally69 Plankton

Which is better, Cheato or Caulerpa

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I don't think it is a matter of which is better. They both provide the same benefit, there is just not the risk with cheato which is why most people seem to use it.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

At nutrient export, they are about the same, but when looking the flaws of calupera, chaeto is technically "better."

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Chaeto works for me.
    Trade bags away to my lfs often, give it away, trade beer for it, etc.
    Never wanted that other stuff

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Chaeto.
    I had a caulerpa fuge a few years back. I didn't have any problems until I broke down the fuge. Now on occasion I still find caulerpa in my display tank. Usually under corals. I just found this yesterday. image.jpg

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

calurpa is bad. Plain and simple. If you want a reef tank use chaeto if you want a planted jungle tank use calurpa.

12. oceanfreak09

oceanfreak09 Plankton

Colarpa is bad! I found out the hard way. Use chaeto! :) trust me!