Carpet Anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nathan2014, Feb 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nathan2014

nathan2014 Plankton

I have a brown carpet anemone that is small; what should I be feeding it. It is about 5 inches in diamiter. I would like to know ASAP

2. Click Here!

3. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

hi there strangley i have just been reading an article about carpet anemones(as im not too hot on anemones and having trouble with my own malu), and i found out this.........they require strong lighting so its symbiotic zooxanthellae can perform photosynthesis to produce its food. Carpet Anemones will also accept solid foods but in general it is not necessary or desirable to feed them. In the wild and in captivity, the Clown Fish that a Carpet Anemone hosts will generally contribute to its feeding.
    hope this helps you out, ive just fed mine some silverside along with dropping in a couple of frozen cubes of cyclops/mysis, which it also seems to appreciate. good luck

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think lighting is the key. Tell us what you currently have. I feed mine squid and an occasional silverside. Most of the "elite" aquarists swear all they need is perfect lighting, but IMO they have a mouth for a reason. If it looks white or bleached in anyway...that is BAD. If its foot releases and it gets slimy or shrivelled in any way, take it back. Only a very experienced anemone owner will be able to save it at that point. One dead anemone will kill everything in the tank. They release a ton of poisons in decomp. I am able to grow anemones. Mine have divided and multiplied, they are thriving. (I say this so you dont think I am just a hack.) We started with four LTAs and we have been able to sell around eight I believe. They are doing great. You just need to have your tank in perfect condition in order to be successful. Good luck!

5. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

hey as i know little about anemones what is an lta??? thanks and yes i probably am thick although im not blonde!!::)

6. nathan2014

nathan2014 Plankton

I have a 29 Gallon Oceanic BioCube with the stock lighting. Before i left home today he was opened up and big.

7. ChicagoReefOne

ChicagoReefOne Flamingo Tongue

I believe it's a Long Tentacle/Tip Anemone. Also you may run into BTA which is Bubble Tip Anemone.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Just because you want the answer ASAP doesn't make this an ASAP topic. Please reserve ASAP for actual emergencies.

Good luck with your anemone though!

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I agree, actual emergencies!!

And i can't stress enough...i always tell people.

DO your research before buying any kind of livestock...people end up taking critters home to realize they don't know much about it and don't know what to feed it...and they end up dying.

gl with your 'nem

11. nathan2014

nathan2014 Plankton

I did do my research....

12. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

well im guessing that would mean that its happy and your doing everthing fine. my opinion would be to maybe feed it a bit of prawn or silverside every few weeks,other than that let it be. nice ;D