Carpet Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by antonio101, Jun 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonio101

antonio101 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi all just got a Carpet Anemone dose any one have any advice on these gyes he is a big one. What should I feed it, lighting, water flow, tank temp, where to put it in tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Lets see Stichodactyla gigantea!

Lighting: Stong lighting: PC, T-5HO, MH

Current: Strong to medium current.

Feeding: Needs regular feeding (1/week) of high-quality meaty foods.

ETC:
    Well this is one of the most sensitive of the host anemones to water quality changes so make sure to keep the tank balanced. Depending in the lighting this anemone can be between 6in-20in on a good day.

Tank Temp: Like most coral I would say around 76-79.

Placement: I would try to put it on a rubble pile so that it has plenty to attach onto. This guy does have a strong sting so be sure to keep corals at a safe distance.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It likes to move around so as Bruce stated, watch out for it touching other corals and it is notorious for finding powerheads and filters. If it gets sucked up you are in for a mess...(trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!
    They are very nice though especially the blue and green carpets! Strong lighting a must and pristine water quality, not to mention no error for changes in water salinity, temp or ph!

5. antonio101

As always thanks alot dont know what I would do with out this forum.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I put mine in my tank 2 years ago. It hasn't moved once.
    It's foot is in the sand and it extends up through the rocks as it wants to.
    I have gone up to 4 weeks without feeding it.
    It has a hosting clown now that feeds it bits of fish food, so now I only give it a half of a silverside about once a month.
    It has done nothing but GROW. They get up to 3 feet in diameter in the wild, who knows how large it will get in your aquaium?? I have never lost a fish to it, but then again they stay away from it :) Except for it's snuggly maroon clown.

Jim

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Of all the anemones, why that one. You know they are the hardest among anemones to take care of. In fact, it is deemed at the "Expert Level" and some argue that it should not be in the trade as it is very delicate and it's survival rate is poor. I'm surprised Diver was able to keep one for 3+ years. Way to go Dive!

Good luck and keep us posted on your new carpet. :-]

8. Click Here!

9. antonio101

Well what can I say I saw it and fell in love with it. Am good at keeping my tank stable, so time will tell. Hay what life with out a little risk

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Actually, there is an anemone that is more dificult to keep than the carpets. It is called the Magnificent Sea Anemone(Heteractis Magnifica).

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

These anemones are best kept in a species only tank as they will kill any and all fish and/or motile inverts that come into contact with it. I've lost more fish and shrimp to a green carpet than anything else I have ever kept so keep that in mind.

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Amcarrig pointed something else out that I missed. ;D Very important you take that into consideration antonio. I do agree, they are very attractive anemones, but of everything I've read on them, I keep my distance. :p