Carpet Anemone how do i move him?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by paulie66, Jan 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

This might be a stupid question but how can I safely move my carpet anemone? He is high up on my glass and when I do water changes he ends up out of the water. Last time i tried to move him (which I try not to do unless there is no other option) he got stuck to my hand and i almost had to tear him apart to get him off. 10min with my hand in the tank hoping he would let go LOL. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Anemones go where they want to go.

Yours sounds like it is looking for more light. :-/

4. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    :LolLolLol:laugh6::laughings:laugh5:

O my friend. I am laughing as I too have one of those carpets. I have some news for you. You do not own a carpet anemone...it owns you. The bigger it gets the more it is so. Mine is over 20" across and I have no control over it whatsoever. Its ate half my fish over the past 5 mos and there is no way Ive found to move him other than break down the tank as its foot is underneath 170 lbs of LR attatched to the bottom of the tank. we are planning for a larger tank this year and will make a decision to keep the carpet or sell it. Magnificent animals the carpets. I am so glad I have had the opportunity to own one. Just dont know if I would do it again.

My worst moment in the salt hobby involved that carpet...midnight stuck all up my arm...sounds like youve been there. Good luck. Maybe some one can help us both out!

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As has been mentioned, anemones go where they want to and it has been my experience that carpets will eat just about everything except their hosts (clownfish). :)

6. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

AND CLOWNFISH! HaHaHa

Rare but yes...it happens...could actually see the stripes on the clown inside the foot at night with a light on it. Pretty cool but its not right the carpet costs more to feed than me somedays!

7. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

I bought it for my Clown who hasnt gone near it since i put it in the tank three months ago. It's definately not my favorate thing in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

10. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh how true!!!! I have fond that it seems to prefer a most expensive diet. Usually new additions to the tank.

11. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

Well I did my water change today. After trying several time to move him lower on the glass i just gave up and left him alone. He was half out of the water during the water change but seems to be ok now. Im planning on going to a larger take soon. I guess ill have to buy a jackhammer to get him off of the glass. Thanks for the info on getting the Clown attracted to the Anemon. With my luck ill finaly get them togather and she will end up being lunch.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i read this thread a couple hours ago and just now stopped laughing. anyway, that thing will move where it wants to and theres nothing you can do about it.

couldnt have said it better