Unresolved Carpet Anemone Dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pmoradi2002, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

My clowns would feed my lta also. It is cool to watch. And my nem would scarf up algae sheets that fell into it. Never thought it would eat it

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Opps sorry, didnt answer all your questions, this shot is of my 165 gallon reef, it has twin 250 watt halides at 20k, and quad 454 attinic's over it- this was a morning shot about 8 am so the nen isnt fully extended, it was a cool shot tho- because I feed my crew 3 times a day- sparingly. This was just before feeding time- they are like my dogs- they know when it's time to eat.

I wonder how my new Blue jaw triggers will take to this when they get here. But I will save that one for a different thread.

4. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

I am very confused with the carpets behavior. One day it is all puffed up and doing great then the next it looks like it's having a hangover.

I suspect that the out of whack parameters are being caused by this guy.

Here are some pics from about an hour ago, along with the brown "slime"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. alpha_03

Two things come to mind- over lighting, and/or, he is eating your CUC. Some parts of the CUC can be harmful to critters when they eat them- that is why I asked this question previously. Are you missing any fish yet?

But I could be wrong, as I am not there to see and test your tank set up. I wish I could help you more, I reallly do, but I have pretty much given you all that I know, considering what you have told me.

Coloration looks good to me......so, I really do not know waht else to say, other then the above.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

we are making a mountain out of a mole hill, every anemone will close up once and a while just to take a break. like i preciously said this even happens to the healthiest anemones in the wild!

7. alpha_03

No this is not normal by any means, this critter isnt just closing up, it's reversing upon itself- this usually indicates poor water quality- but I am not sure of this yet as the O/P hasnt told us his tanks age.

8. Click Here!

9. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

+1

Tank is about 5 months old.

Yes, I know I should of waited longer for a matured tank but I took every precaution.

Like I said in the original post, this guy was doing great UNTIL I OD'ed on kalk, that's where everything went downhill.

10. alpha_03

Yep, I read that, and less then water changes, I don't know what else to tell you to do. Add nothing to the tank save perhaps a small dose of Iodine- very small. You have a very young tank for an anemone- too young IMHO.

Personally, I would do no more water changes for at least a month- let some algae build up to provide some nutrieints in the water- simply put- let it be for now. As 3reefs founder states- go slow- let it grow. Give it some time- keep your hands out of the tank, but keep an eye on things- the critters- they might just supprize you- seriously.

11. alpha_03

BTW, I spoke with a well respected downdraft skimmer manufacture' on Monday, (about a skimmer I bought) he told me that pH is nearly impossible to test w/o a probe, I was like "oh really" - then the explanation came, and well- holy cow- he was right, but that's 40 years of experience vrs my 12 years, funny how it works that way.

Either way, like I said- give it some time, I keep learning all the time, I too make and have made mistakes over the years I have been at this hobbie- we all do. But do not let that anemone die in your tank- it will nuke a a tank in a hurry, so if you have doubts, buy a 10 gallon - fill it with your tanks water, add a small power head an put the nen in there before this happens, otherwise- be cautious is all I can say. Remember the nen needs good light to survive and thrive.