Unresolved Carpet Anemone Dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pmoradi2002, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

Whenthe water gets cloudy is when ur tank is being nuked. Clear water ur still ok as far as the toxins being released. If it gets cloudy u should be able to test ammonia and startseeing some. Unless u don't show ammonia on good test strips than ur fine.

I'm not saying the carpet will return to good health but I hope it does. Getting ur water stable and good quality is all u can do

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

Ad far as feeding nems. They feed through the water column. They don't have to e fed by hand. Anytime u squirt liquid food into ur tank even the mysis juice from the cubes they re fed. They just grow way faster if u feed them shrimps and other seafood

4. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Agreed with the last two posts, with one exception, when carpets get large- I mean really large- over 15 inches (mine s nearly 24" fully extended) they do require feeding, a host clown will do this for them, which in turn lowers the anemeones agression level.

If the Nen is still sticky, he is still somewhat healthy, that also tells me you are in the tank way to much- did you know your skin has a Ph and can affect water quality, a carpet that fails to keeps it's food will curl up for days sometimes. As well to many water changes means no nutrients, I fear this maybe your problem- the anemone isnt happy because of water water quality and perhaps temp changes.

Do this- go back to the place you bought the anemone from and ask for a water sample- denote it's temp, then test it, then compare it to your water- let us know what is different- you might then find your answer and yet save this anemone.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have heard of a hand having that ph thing but it is so minute you could put your hand in the tank 75 times a day and it wouldnt noticeably affect the water quality at all. if your nem is sticky then it is still healthy. probably just a bad week for this particular nem happens to the best and healthiest. i wouldnt even worry about it.

also alpha would you mind posting a pic of your nem just for reference? also if you have adequate lighting over the tank small feedings from the water collumn and clown should be enough with occasional feedings of shrimp or silversides it will do great.

6. alpha_03

Pic? Ok. This was taken a few months ago, Saturday morning, that clown is fully grown.

[​IMG]

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

thats about 12 inches?

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

about 18 inches- he is a big fella, bigger now, they grow fast. when I got him he was about 12 inches, he has nearly doubled in size over 1.5 years.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

? Can you please elaborate on this, or is this personal experience?

TIA

11. alpha_03

BTW, he has also eaten 4 of my damsels, and a few of my CUC, but that is part of keeping such critters- the owner must be aware of this before hand.

I think I have a few newer pic's but I would have to look, or, go take a few. ;)

12. alpha_03

Sure, my Clarkee, literally feed's his anemone, he will grab food and deliver it directly to his host anemone, be it bottom feeder food, krill, shrimp, ect. the clown takes very good care of his host, it is very neat to see. I have named this clown "thief" because he steals food from other fish to give to the nen- even algae strips- which the nen gladly eats right up.