Unresolved Carpet Anemone Dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pmoradi2002, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

I'll test the water tonight and post here.

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

To check the health of it because carpets can be tricky see if you can touch the base, the foot and see if its slimy or sticky or what, also try having a small powerhead blowing on it.

as long as you dont see this cotton like substance coming out of it, it should be able to bounce back

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

if it is decaying whatsoever take it out of the tank, they are very difficult anemones to keep and they need impeccable water conditions and your nitrates are extremely high even for the hardiest of the nems.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Glad to hear things are doing well. Nitrate is a complicated subject. Nitrate test kits aren't very accurate, so by itself s reading of 20 means absolutely nothing. If it is correct, nitrate can have indirect detrimental effects, however, it is not know to be directly toxic at any level. If everything else is in check, it still is not a problem. It can be an indicator of other problems though. In this case, your are aware of the other problems. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much if things look happy, just stay vigilante and keep up with the maintenance/water changes. Change out the carbon often etc... Your odds are getting better by the day as long as things keep improving.

6. pmoradi2002

Current Parameters-

Salinity - 1.025
    pH - 8.4
    Nitrate - 20
    Nitrite - .25
    Ammonia - .25
    Phosphate - .5
    Calcium - 540
    Kh - 143.2

No matter how many water changes I do these still stay whack...esp the calcium.

Here are pics of the nem, it's not doing good again.

A few weeks ago-
    [​IMG]

Today-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

The anemone looks like it is dying. It's losing it's color and the insides look like they are starting o be pushed out the mouth. It was a beaui specimen. Sorry about your troubles

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

If I might ask, why such a large critter in so small a tank? It states this matter as resolved, but what was the resolution? How is your CUC doing- are they still there in the same numbers? Consider this.

I would like to add, large carpets need to feel safe, other wise they will move- this will stress them out- there fore your tank needs to be aquascaped correctly to house this critter, this includes the sand bed and it's depth- no Carpet I have ever seen does well in the open enviroment, as well consider a Clarkee Clown fish, you would be amazed what this relationship will not only do for your viewing pleasure, but your tank also.

I have a very LARGE Carpet, I would be happy to show you pic's or a video of him and his little room mate(s), the Clarkee, and 2 large skunk cleaner shrimp.

I think sometimes in SW aquaria, relationships between certain critters make a difference. But I have nothing but my own experiences to back this statement up.

I really hope the Carpet survives, but be warned- Carpets are very agressive, they will eat anything that touches them if they are not part of the "rental" or host process.

Trust me on this.

BTW, that clam is in a really bad spot, you need to move it to a correct position.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

the tank size is perectly fine, i had a carpet in my old 16 gallon nano that grew about 7 inches wide and it never was in bad shape. as long as the water quality is impeccable these guys can live in a tank way smaller than the suggested. also if it didnt like where it was located on the rockscape then it would move. it obviously likes where it is.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If your ammonia starts to trend upwards I would remove the anemone. You still should not have positive value level for ammonia or nitrites unless something is decaying or your test kit is wrong. Just monitor your parameters frequently until you a 0 value for ammonia/ and or the anemones dies.

Good Luck.

12. pmoradi2002

I did a lot of research beforehand and in the end chose to take the risk. I have made adequate rockscaping corrections for it.

CUC is all in there with no signs of anything lost.

I have never had him move, he stays in that corner. Also, I have two maroon clowns that are extremely aggressive so I cannot add Clarkis.

At night my cleaner and peppermint shrimp rest on top of the nem, it does not do anything to them. It has a strong foothold and it is sticky to the touch. One problem is that ever since I got him he has not eaten once. I try feeding it silversides everything I feed everything else but it always lets it go.

What I do notice though is that after anytime I feed the fish pellets, any of the pellets that the anemone ate later comes out in a brown slimy string.