Carpet Anemone ate my clownfish

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by swampton, Apr 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swampton

swampton Plankton

Hello all,

I have had my haddoni carpet anemone for around a month now. I had the clownfish for about the same amount of time. Well, a week or so ago, I think one of the clownfish got enough courage to finally try to go into the carpet, and he instantly curled up around him and ate him.

I feed him (carpet) a few times a week, silversides, and as soon as that piece of fish touches his tentacles, he collapses against the silverside instantly. I still have 2 clowns in there, that hang around very near the carpet, but I am afraid they are gonna get eaten too.

What is the deal with him? Do I need to maybe feed him more than a few times a week if he is taking the silverside so quickly when I feed him? He is about 6 inches in diameter.

Thanks for any info.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Another poster recently had issues with his carpet. They eat anything I've heard and get to be very large. How big is your tank? You may want to think about moving it to another tank or trading it back to your LFS.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

LoL, carpets are an agressive one and they get HUGE.
    I honeslty have no deisre for any anemone , they move all to often and they are among the most agressive as far as stinging corals to death and in your case eating fish !

sorry for your loss,

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The anemone does what it does.... Feeding or not feeding it does not make any difference it could be full or hungry, it's response to food or other stimuli is the same. Some clowns are better hosts for this type of anemone. What kind was yours?
    Sorry for your loss. I learned the hard way with my carpet also, it never ate my clown (maroon) but it sure did like some other fish ;)

Jim

BTW, Welcome to 3Reef and contribute when you can!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  6. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

I agree some clowns liek percs and occys would probly get eaten by a carpet where as the more aggressive maroon clown or tomato clown would probly be fine with it

btw sorry for your loss of the one

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The clown probably rushed into the anemone without acclimating itself to the anemone first. If you didn't see the clown rubbing against the anemone before it dove in, then it didn't build an immunity to the carpet's sting.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I never heard of anything like that. Thats is weird, I've heard of anemones eating others fishes, but not clowns. The only explaination that I can think of is what amcarring suggested.

10. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

carpets are very wll known to eat almost any fish including their hosts. I would get rid of it because of the size and the chance of it eating more of your fish are high.unless you have a big tank and ready to maintain such a demanding creature.but they are nice when they are big.get a bta they get big to but not as big as a carpet.

11. swampton

swampton Plankton

Just wanted to update you guys about my carpet. Since the clownfish incident, he hasn't eaten any of the other clownfish (wild false perculas) although I don't think he has gotten the chance since they aren't hosting anymore, and are probably terrified to, hehe.

Anyway, I have seen him take in quite a few hermit crabs that get too close to him. Kinda getting annoying. I feed him plenty.

So is there a trick to getting him off of the bottom of my tank? He dug through the 3 inch sand bed and fixed himself to the glass on the bottom. thinking about trading him in for something. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Man, that makes me question whether or not to get a bta anenome