Carnation coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Larry.C.K.Wee, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Larry.C.K.Wee

Larry.C.K.Wee Plankton

Hi, How to succeed in keeping carnation coral? ;)

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

have a tank 50 foot deep that is kept at around 65 degrees and is really rich in phyto and it should do good

Na seriously here is the info straight off Liveaquaria for them

The Carnation Tree Coral or Dendronephthya Carnation is one of the most beautiful and peaceful corals, and is also known as the Cauliflower Soft Coral, or Strawberry Soft Coral. There are over 250 different identified Dendronephthya species. It is found in a variety of flamboyant colors with red or orange being the most common. It is normally shipped while attached to a small piece of live rock or coral rubble.

It is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

And even most of them can't keep it..!!!

I bought 2, thinking that being in the Leather Family, they would be easy to care for..
    BIG MISTAKE.....

Take my word for it .... Stay away from them..

Later, Larry

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I got two because I didn't know any better. It's been three months, I've direct fed them with phyto three times and they are still alive. I don't know how this is happening. Every day I expect them to be dead yet they keep on living for now...

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

That pretty much sums it up