carnation coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by wjrg, Aug 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

Hi, I need some imformation about the carnation coral. I'm planing to buy one and I dont know much about them. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

These are some of the only corals available to the trade in a bright red or orange color. Non photosynthetic, does not require light. Do not place directly under bright lights, place in lower areas of the tank or in caves, out of the direct path of light, preferably in shaded areas. Requires medium to high water current, does best with alternating/pulsating/changing water movement. Does best with supplemental feeding with foods such as liquid phytoplankton. Note: All soft corals can expand and contract tremendously. Size will vary from smaller when you receive them, to larger once they have adjusted to your aquarium for a period of weeks. from marine center

4. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

I have 2x175 MH and I'm planing to place it in a cave entrance up side down with no direct ligth, but he will get some ligth. It have to be dark or it migth have some light?

5. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Honestly I would not mess with them. They are some of the most enticing softies out there. Thier problem is though that even the most expert of aquarist can not keep them. Thier feeding habits are mostly unknown. It is true that they feed on phytoplankton, but every article I have read on them states that this is only part of thier diet. There has been several studies done on keeping this coral and the only long term success I have read came from someone who kept there tank in the dark for over a year upon cycling and gathered sand from numerous sources to build the GREAT diversity of micro fauna. He had a fuge that was well over 300 gallons on his 100 gallon tank so as to have a drip system of phytoplankton in his tank. Also the fuge was stirred to release micro fauna into the water colomn to presumably feed the carnatinon. In the end after a year or so they all declined.:( Although very beautiful I would not keep them if I were you.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

how big is your tank?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you don't happen to have a link to this article do you::)?

8. Click Here!

9. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

My tank is 75g. thanks for the advice.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think the lighting will be ok as long as it isnt placed on top of your rock right under the mhs.

11. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

have you ever try one ?

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

no i haven't but i do have kenya tree. its similar to the carnation coral atleast in structure(extremely hardy too). i would recommend you try that first before moving on to corals that experts have difficulty with. but if you have any other question don't hesitate to ask.