Carnation coral, how much is really known?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by BB23, Aug 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

I have just purchased a piece of carnation coral and really don't know too much about it.(it was an impulse buy...it looks sooo cool) It almost looks like a type of leather so i figured it would have the same care. SO basically is there anyone that has experience with this coral?; and if so what is the best way to care for it.

thnx

BB23

2. Click Here!

3. HotRodsFishTank

HotRodsFishTank Plankton

I have Had 2 and they both died in about 1 week. Was told they do not like light or current. Tried different places both times with no luck. hotrod

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well I had a colony of Dendronephthya for a couple of yrs. I set up a 6inch pipe to form a tunnel/cave and a power head that pulled from the rear of the capped pipe/tunnel to have a steady draw of water current and I dosed plankton and fresh rotifiers by the qt several times a week and pints on the off days . the where doing great and thriving until I was laid up in bed for 3 yrs then they dies with in a month I've yet to mess with them again lots of work and very strict water parameters and feeding and habitat is all they require.. Not a coral for the less then experienced hobbyist I think.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ditto

6. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

difficult to keep in captivity. Needs lots of food...doesnt like light..needs strong flow and phytoplankton/microplankton.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Definitely one of the more difficult coral to keep aling with Goniopora, and Elegance corals! I still don't think there is adequate info on husbandry and requirements of the puzzling corals, IMO!

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Gosh, really beautiful coral. Can understand attraction. Have seen in LFS and only thing really holding me back is the special care they require, and the fact I really can't fit another coral in my tank. :p

Feature Article: Non-photosynthetic Corals: They really are hard!

Charles discusses various non-photosynthetic corals and their care requirements.

By J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gorgeous Stuff!

10. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

Thnx for the article; very informative. I guess i'll keep you guys updated. I guess this now can be considered an experiment, haha. We'll see how it goes. If anyone else has any other info., keep posting it.

Thnx to everyone

BB23

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'll tell you BB I hate to try and keep anyone from trying anything.. And these corals can be kept but you have to give them what they need a fake cave with good flow and plenty of food will do.. These are nothing like keeping a elegance or goniopora .. I keep elegances all the time my favorite corals as for goniopora I have kept them as well long term .
    They all have special needs with elegances it more about the handling of them.. thats where the problems start first as for gonioporas most reefers strip their water of DOC's through to aggressive skimming and filtration thats where they run into problems with these corals .
    If you want to keep the coral you'll have to give it what it needs .. Its being done daily now days, I recall when it was said marine fish where impossible to keep then it was you'll never keep them mushrooms alive then on to button polyps and so it goes . Until a few hobbyist figure out how its done the article writer have little to write about LOL. I don't read them or write them . Those that can do do it, and those that can't do teach it..