CaribSea Argonite/sand-Rinse! Rinse! Rinse!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Podrelease, May 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Podrelease

Podrelease Plankton

Wow! This is a project in itself. Finally got my substrate but I feel like a laundrette washing machine. I dont know how they've got the balls to say 'Ready for use, minimal washing required' - lol

Anyway just a little update as I'm rinsing, stirring, rinsing, stirring etc,.... I did start the the filter up - I understood about the substrate requirement needed as a media for the bacteria - but I thought I'd run the hardware anyway just to make sure it was fully functional.

I've added JBL Denitrol - Live bacteria at the stated doses for the last few days - it states that I can introduce fish within days but I can't see this being possible as even though the Nitrate level is minimal, the Ammonia levels are huge - noway I want to risk a fatality. I think I might stop using it and rely on the full cycling.

Well, thats it and the thanks for all the help to everyone so far ;)

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

did you get the caribsea live sand? and what are you washing it with hope its not fresh water if so you would be killing the bacteria. normally carib sea sand you put right in the tank it may take a few days to settle. ive found from my experience adding those additives that cycle the tank dont really help with saltwater your best bet is to just run through the cycle naturally. i tried using them once and i think they mess up the cycle most of the time it takes at least a month to a month and half to cycle a salt tank. ya gotta have patience. just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels till its done these 2 are the toxic parts of the cycle.

1 person likes this.
  4. Podrelease

Podrelease Plankton

thanks for the info - the sand is caribsea Sugar sand - but it isnt/wasnt live (maybe I sould have opted for the arag-live version). I've notice zero change in ammonia / nitirite levels form when I've previously cycled freshwater tanks with the live bacteria suppliment. I think your right - and I'm going to cycle 'naturally'.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

My advice to you is to go to your local pet shop and get a few scoops of live sand from an established tank to help seed your tank and speed up the process.
    As far as the sand and the cloudiness may I suggest that you rinse it briefly, then place it in the tank prior to adding the water. Then place some plasticwrap dowm to cover it or use a dish plate. Then add the water to the tank. What this does is help to stabilize your sand bed so that it doesn't get stirred up and create unwanted cloudiness.
    Hope this helps!

6. rjweng

rjweng Astrea Snail

When I set up my tank, I washed the sand quickly and then placed it in the tank, placed a bowl ontop of a sheet of plastic to help deflect the water. It wasn't live sand just normal Aragamax Sand, 4" of it. You have any Live rock in there or only sand? The LR helped with my cycling, cycled my tank in under 2 weeks.

7. Powderbluetang

Powderbluetang Astrea Snail

I don't wash the sand at all, put the sand in and add water and top off salinity. Run the powerheads and add a hang on back filter with sponge and it grab all the dust in the sand in the sponge and is clear in a day. I remove the HOB filter and rinse it out and you got a clear tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So many versions....they are all good suggestions. I filled my tank with ro water, added salt & checked the sg.....THEN I added my sand......opened the bag and immersed it into the water, and slowly slid the sand out. Needless to say I did end up with a duststorm which after a week was still cloudy. I then added 135lbs of cured live rock.........which almost instantly cycled my tank and overnite cleared the water, amazing. The bacteria actually weighs the sand down and it settles. A week later introduced the cleanup crew and had no problems only minimal cycling and 6 months later all is well.......