Caribbean Live Sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by ZC42, Jan 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Should I wash this stuff? Don't want to kill the bacteria I paid for, but also don't want to deal with cloudy water for the next week.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

no. pretty sure it says on the package not to rinse.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

yeah don't rinse, it defeats the purpose of it being "live" sand. You will want to run a sponge or filter floss though to clear the water up. Try to get the sand to the bottom as nicely as possible but you can't get around there being a sandstorm for about a day

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You can lower a piece of PVC pipe to the bottom and pour the sand slowly through it, or lower the sand in a cup or bowl to help reduce the amount of cloudiness, then run a mechanical filter to remove what does get stirred up.

1 person likes this.
  6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Don't ever add "live sand" to a established tank. I see the OPs signature says tank "cycling", so, probably okay, but just want to make sure
    The problem is there is likely a lot of dead stuff in "live" bags of sand you buy of the shelf of an LFS. If that is what the OP means by "live sand"? There is not much that is going to survive being shipped around the country in a sealed bag. So, adding can cause a cycle and I've seen this happen numerous times.

7. ZC42

yeah im just starting the cycle

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

follow the directions on the bag. I think it says to drop the bag to the bottom of the tank then cut the bottom of the bag releasing the sand?

10. ZC42

Oh sorry I forgot to say I ordered it- I don't physically have it yet. Just thinking about how I'm gonna put it in. Thanks for the help though!

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Very cool idea. I wish I would have thought of that lol. ;D This is the mehtod I would with. PVC pipe is really cheap as well at lowes or home depot.

12. ZC42

how about using a piece of cardboard/poster board and pouring the sand through it? Same effect but its only 1 dollar vs 20