Care info, purple sea whip

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Moby Duck, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

So I saw a purple sea whip online and I was very curious as to how to care for it. If I could I would like to pick it up I think it would look great in my tank. Does anyone k ow anything about this? I looked online and some places say photosynthetic and others say its not

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341484413.953430.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

who ever you buy it from be sure its shipped in water and not 2 day. as the place i bought 3 from that where dying on arrival. live and learn i will never buy from that place again.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

This particular Gorgonian is Photosynthetic but will still need to be fed. It also requires a very strong flow compared to others in its family.;)

6. henningero

henningero Astrea Snail

I read in more than a few places that those with the white polyps are non-photosynthetic. I keep a few of these (without the white polyps), and they seem to like flow fairly on the high side as mentioned in a few posts above. I never feed mine and they grow like weeds.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

This particular Gorgonian has brown polyps but still benefits from suplemental feedings as do all Gorgonians in this family.Heres some tips from LA:
    This gorgonian is photosynthetic and requires a moderate amount of light, but also should be offered zooplankton and other foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates. It also requires a stronger water flow and the addition of iodine, calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

In order to inhibit algae and cyanobacteria growth, it is important that this gorgonian is provided with strong, constant or intermittent water flow. If in the event that it does begin to become covered with algae or cyanobacteria, remove it from the coral immediately, as this will cause rapid tissue deterioration. Algae can be removed gently with the use of a soft brush; combat cyanobacteria by soaking the coral in freshwater of the same temperature and pH for approximately 1 minute.