Urgent Carbon made water black help!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blackreef13, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It's just carbon dust, it's inert and won't harm anything. A filter pad will clear up the water.

2. Click Here!

3. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

I bought poly-fil worked like a charm cleared up the water in a few hrs but their is still a black film of dust on sand and rocks should i siphon the sand and rinse the rocks with saltwater?

4. fishdoctors96

fishdoctors96 Astrea Snail

are you making a reef? if so you DO NOT! want carbon in there

5. blackreef13

Im not removing the carbon its still in my sump the thread was about me failing to rinse the carbon i was just talking about the film and dust that was left on my sand and rocks

6. jbb_00

jbb_00 Skunk Shrimp

point a powerhead or two toward the sand and rocks so it will keep the dust suspended. Then continue to run the poly-fil and change as needed until dust is gone. you should be able to finish by tomorrow if you let it run like that overnight.

7. blackreef13

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

...why wouldn't you want carbon in a reef tank? It's a chemical filter material.

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

In case your corals want to have chemical warfare? Provides a more natural coral vs coral environment? :D

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

11. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Carbon fines are being related to HLLE in certain fish. Here is some literature. (of course OP has no fish, so it's not an issue in this case, but just thought I should mention it)

The usefulness of activated carbon in a reef tank has been debated a lot lately, because it was thought that the carbon absorbed materials that are useful to corals, but recent research has suggested it might not be as much of a concern as many had thought. I can't find any real documentation but this link might be an interesting read.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I'm running a carbon reactor on my system and if anything my water is much clearer. I haven't seen any ill affects.

I see a lot of reefers run UV to polish there water, if anything that is far worse.

Sent from my HTC View