carbon in wet dry filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by spongebob, Aug 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

Should you put carbon in a sock in your wet dry filter. I have salt water fish and some corals? Thanks for any advice :)

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

To directly answer your question, IMO, running carbon is never a bad idea. However, if you have corals, I would suggest either not using the wet/dry filter, or modifying it so it is basically just a sump.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1 ^^ to Marshal's response.

5. spongebob

Why would I not use the wet dry filter? I also have a protein skimmer is that good? I also have a refugium am I over killing the filtering Lol

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Wet/dry filters require a lot of maintenance to keep them clean. Otherwise, they can become sources of nitrates, which you want to minimize in a reef tank.

Yes, you do want a skimmer and a refugium though. With those, you really don't need anything else besides maybe running carbon in a reactor. Maybe you can sell the wet/dry and then buy a single reactor (a few choices, I like both Two Little Fishies and BRS).

7. spongebob

Thanks I might just make this a fish tank I only have two devil hands and there are a lot of non reef safe fish I have been wanting to get :)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

If you go for FO, keeping the wet/dry shouldn't be a problem. You can run carbon in a sock but I'm not sure where you put it? There really are some very cool fish in this hobby :)