carbon in wet dry filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by spongebob, Aug 25, 2013.

1. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

Should you put carbon in a sock in your wet dry filter. I have salt water fish and some corals? Thanks for any advice :)
  2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

To directly answer your question, IMO, running carbon is never a bad idea. However, if you have corals, I would suggest either not using the wet/dry filter, or modifying it so it is basically just a sump.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

+1 ^^ to Marshal's response.
  5. spongebob

Why would I not use the wet dry filter? I also have a protein skimmer is that good? I also have a refugium am I over killing the filtering Lol
  6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Wet/dry filters require a lot of maintenance to keep them clean. Otherwise, they can become sources of nitrates, which you want to minimize in a reef tank.

Yes, you do want a skimmer and a refugium though. With those, you really don't need anything else besides maybe running carbon in a reactor. Maybe you can sell the wet/dry and then buy a single reactor (a few choices, I like both Two Little Fishies and BRS).
  7. spongebob

Thanks I might just make this a fish tank I only have two devil hands and there are a lot of non reef safe fish I have been wanting to get :)
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

If you go for FO, keeping the wet/dry shouldn't be a problem. You can run carbon in a sock but I'm not sure where you put it? There really are some very cool fish in this hobby :)