Carbon in Sump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by GatorDrew, Apr 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Alright, I currently have a wet/dry and will be upgrading to a sump. Looking to see what would be the best carbon media. I'm thinking that I can just slip it between some baffle.

I'm looking at either Chemi-Pure Elite, Seachem Renew, Black Magic Carbon, Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon, Kent Reef Carbon, and PhosPure plus Zeolite & Carbon.

I'm leaning towards Chemi-Pure Elite, Seachem Renew, or PhosPure plus Zeolite & Carbon.

I'm not trying to remove anything, but definitely want to prevent anything. I've used Chemi-Pure Elite before... like it. But, it costs a lot more when comparing the other two.

What does everyone else use?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I always run Black Diamond

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Not all carbons are phosphate free...also, you have to make sure and replace it regularly to avoid leaching the adsorbed pollutants back into the pelagic area of your tank.
    That being said, make sure that you place thecarbon in an area of strong water flow for optimal results...
    As for the carbon, I like Kent's and Black Diamond!

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I just use any phosphate free carbon. I havent noticed a difference using higher priced carbon vs cheaper phosphate free brands.

6. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Kent

I am partial to KENT obviously... lol;D

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I use a number of brands but I make sure that it isn't pelletized like Kent's. 99% of all pelletized carbon is vapor phase carbon vs liquid phase carbon and therefore doesn't do as well in a liquid medium like a reef tank.

CLICK FOR BIGGER IMAGE

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Interesting chart. From a lot of reading, Marineland was always the "best" however, the chart is suggesting Seachem or Hydrocarbon...

Just curious... is there a page that describes the research behind the chart? I would be very interested...

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I started to use the Tri Based Pelleted carbon last Thursday for %^& and giggles to see what all the hub bub was about.. So far nothing great has happened also went a did a 50 gallon water change first time on 25+ yrs to see what all that fuss was about with new water ? Its been so long since I had done one I figured maybe something has changed ? Oh well the carbon seems to be doing about what the old Black Diamond did and as for water changing ?? Y'all can have at it I'll go back to one every 25 yrs or so LOL.. I'll chnage out the carbon again until U se the 10 pounds up.. But its no magic bullet..

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

12. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Nice article on carbon. But what type of carbon is Sea Chem's?

I'd like to make one point about carbon. From what I have read, carbon does not leach out what it has absorbed.