Carbon fiber rod to replace ceramic shaft..

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by reefmonkey, Feb 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You may or may not know this already.

If you get stupid like I did and break the ceramic shaft on your expensive pump don't rush to get a replacement impeller assembly. Instead head down to your local hobby store and pick up a 4' stick of carbon fiber rod in the same diameter as the ceramic rod you just broke. It runs about $.50/ft. at a hobby store I frequent. I picked a stick of 1/8" for $1.99 and when the $29 assembly I just ordered for my Mag 12 comes in, I'll measure the ceramic rod and cut extras for the next time I do something stupid.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It's good to know Mike. How's the rest going?
    P

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's going. Just got the scape done today, pics are in the build thread :)

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

That is some good info..thanks for doing something stupid before I do..lol.(only kidding)..glad you were able to fix it...k+ to you when I get to my computer..

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah it was pretty good info I thought I'd pass on to my 3reef fam :)

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Good info bump for the morning crowd

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I disagree Mike, GREAT info. I will be interested to hear how well it works.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks. I actually won't know how well it works until I break the new ceramic shaft. I'll just have the carbon fiber rod on hand until I need it. It is already a proven alternative. I found UK and US forum threads and other info on using the carbon when I googled "replacement ceramic shaft for mag 12-b". It makes sense because carbon fiber will not conduct heat and is very strong.

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Mike, I thought I read that carbon fiber degrades in staltwater? I was reading an article about off shore drilling and carbon fiber rods had to be coated in plastic. I don't recall all specifics. If I find some free time later I'll research it, I rcan't recall the term that was used - something corrosion, anyway I do recall they were talking about carbon fiber.

12. borge

borge Astrea Snail

Yes and no.

The fibers itself suck water like any other dry fiber, with everything that follows.
    These rods Are held together with Epoxy ( this is the plastic that holds the matrix together) and this it what keeps the water out.
    These carbon fiber rods has by no means the appropriate mechanical properties to be used as an axle.
    From a HES point of view, it is not decided what the years of exposure of teared off tiny carbon particles does to our own environment, and therefor not in the fish tank.
    Now as earlier stated, the "softer" surface of these rods does make it very inappropriate for this usage. Use the rod to thow a car instead ;)

Edit:
    Yes, oil wells and offshore usage.
    These fibers conduct electricity and as stated earlier, they suck water, so a coating of epoxy is used to prevent to much trouble, and can of course also be coated with different plastics, depending on usage. Self regulating floor heaters anyone ;)