Carbon and phosphate sponge. Together okay?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Monacle, Aug 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I know that some carbon releases phosphate into the water, so I am wondering is it okay to run phosphate sponge and carbon together? And do they interact with each other or cancel each other out some way?

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I've read some very successful people using those together, it certainly won't hurt. It's just one more thing to deal with changing, but I'm being lazy minded right now :)

4. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

You may want to look into a GFO reactor where you can use both. Normally a good rinse of almost any GAC and there will be no phosphate to leach out.

What kind/who's "phosphate sponge" do you have in mind and who's GAC ? "Phosphate sponges" can also realese PO4 if left in to long.

5. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I have 2 cascade 1500 canister filters. One of them I filled up with the cascade carbon packages and the other I filled up with "Kent" phosphate sponge. I have been running them for about a week and was planning on pulling them in about another week. What do you think?

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

A lot of people mix media in their reactors. The only thing you need to consider when you mix or use them together with a media bag or reactor is that each media requires different flows and different micron bagging, etc. Each has different conditions for which to run it with 100% success.

I run reef carbon and phosban media. Reef carbon is amazing. When I change it, the very next day the water is completely polished and crystal clear. Superb carbon IME, but pretty pricey.

7. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Another Another issue with Kent is that it is Alumina/Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) and releases aluminum which some corals, especially softies, which often do not respond well, although this is not always the case. Alumina is also not very good at removing PO4 compared to GFO, You need the PO4 levels below 0.50 ppm or you will be spending allot of money. Here is something on GFO's

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

You may want to review this post if you have not seen it.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/aluminum-safe-saltwater-36967-2.html

On reactors the media tumbles in a tube, it is fluidized, where it should be at a low rate. If the tumble rate is to high the grains start to break up. Many people do mix the two, GFO and GAC. The best media for reactors or canisters and especially canisters is Warner Marine PhoSar. This is not a solid GFO like the other but is porous like GAC. It is much better at removing PO4 than any media.

One of the other issues about GAC and GFO are their length of time to be effective. In short GFO's last longer than GAC. So in short, with one reactor, where they are combined you may end up wasting GFO.

In canisters, with media bags, you do not have this issue but others. GFO like Phosban or other GFO's, other than Warner, are not suppose to be used in media bags in canisters, although many do. They work best in reactors. A solid media is much more subject to channeling, chimney effect and flow rate loss. Warner GFO does not restrict you as much in flow rate as GFO's like Phosban or others. What ever media you use, slow flow it better to a point be it PO4 removers or GAC. But as rick pointed out together you will not reach 100%.

2 cascade 1500 canister filters

Those are nice canisters for FOT or FOWLR but are overkill for a reef tank for your purpose, using them for media (way to big). You could use them though. For maximum efficiency, of a media in a canister filter, "positive flow" types are the best, of which yours are not. Eheim's like these below are positive flow.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I've been using phospure pads Aquarium Chemical Filtration & Algae Removal: Drs. Foster & Smith PhosPure® Pads in both a 240 and 20nano with some success. Diatom has been kept to a minimum. The 20 is less than 7 weeks old with rock and sand only, no livestock. The 240 9-10 weeks old and heavily stocked from a switch-over tank. I'm still waiting to see how the pads preform over long-run. I like the 15x30. Can cut to fit about any shape.