Can't seem to get the nitrates down

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by artspeaker, Mar 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Get coil denitrater going thats the only way i kept a F/O system.. And a large of a skimmer as you can afford. a f/o needs a huge skimmer rating per gallon . I used to run a ETSS 1400 on a 280 F/O with 6 larger fish in it . larger I mean a hippo like 9" long and a sailfin about 8" and a Queen Angle and a a very large Moorish Idol and a coil denitrater and a ehiem packed with Carbon and a Ocean clear canister with pleated filter and a set of Iwakie MD100RLT to feed the filters and tank circulation and a single one to feed the skimmer.. fish only tanks are a mess from feeding all that meat stuff and require serious filtration ..

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

How much LR do you have? You should have about 225 or even more LBS for a 150 gallon tank and it is true never siphon the sand unless you have algae and want to remove it

4. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

Isn't the ph low as well? I thought the ph should be around 8.2

1 person likes this.
  5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

7.8 in morning is ok not the best but it should get a little higher throughout the day

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Let me just say that when I perform my WC, I syphon my whole sand bed and all the way to the bottom. The only part of the sand bed that I cant reach is under the LR. My No3 is always at zero and I never have a spike either.

Have any of you guys ever tested your water after a syphoning to see if that cuases a No3 spike?

Artspeaker-If you have any kind of pre-filter sponges, pads, socks or any other kind of material that "filters" the water and collects debris, that should be cleaned at least once a week. What do you use for top-off?

[SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

2 people like this.
  7. califjewls

califjewls Astrea Snail

I also vacuum my sand bed when I do a water change and I actually have tested my water for nitrate before and after with no nitrate spikes at all. I did this because my nitrates are at 20 and I want to lower them also. I am adding a skimmer today, have added a very active goby and vacuum sand weekly with water change and also completely clean any filter media with RO water.

I would almost think if you do get large nitrate spikes when you vacuum the sand bed then you need to be doing it more often to get rid of that issue?

Goodluck! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If you do too much of the sandbed cleaning at once it can cause a little spike depending on how much LR you have. The key is the amount of LR to prevent nitrates

10. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Artspeaker-If you have any kind of pre-filter sponges, pads, socks or any other kind of material that "filters" the water and collects debris, that should be cleaned at least once a week. What do you use for top-off?

I change my filter socks often. I have about four that I rotate after pressure washing and then sun dry. I usually buy new ones every 6 or 7 months.

I top-off with R/O fresh water. I use salt water for the w/c unless the salinity is too high.

11. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Has anyone else used a denitrater? I have seen their advertisements, but haven't seen much said about them on this forum.

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

This is not true, necessarily......If the siphoned waste is contained in the siphoning tube and allowed to completely exit the tank to the bucket, this will not affect or release nitrate to the tank.